George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

My 1990 f150 does not have a windshield wiper switch, all I

Customer Question

my 1990 f150 does not have a windshield wiper switch, all I have is the 6 wires coming out of wiper motor, they are, BLK/PINK, RED, DARK BLUE/ORANGE, WHITE, BLK, and BLK. How do I wire them up to a generic switch or if I need a Ford switch how do I hook up the wires. I need a simple wiper motor to switch hook up diagram as I have no harness to plug the switch into. Also would need to know which terminal on the switch to hook to hot.
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The wiring diagram for the motor and switch is shown here >click<, there are no views of the connectors to the motor or the switch so some work with an ohmeter will be required to determine which is which. I do believe the letter designation for the pins is molded into the switch so matching it up would not be too hard. The switches are widely available and run about $25

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I have no switch yet I wanted to know where the motor wires hook up to the switch and where the switch gets it power. I have no harness at all, just the wiper motor, need to know where to hook up the wires.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

How did you know what the colors are?

Did you look at the wiring diagram I posted above?

Do you nave an ohmeter?

Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The switch is powered from the black/light green wire at the ignition switch and the connections with the wire colors are shown on the diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at the wiper motor, it has wires that are colored as I said. The truck has no wire harness at all other than a ON toggle switch and a push button start switch, was/is a race truck. As I am going to run it on the street I need a windshield wiper, have the wiper motor as I said, no wiper switch. I will pick up a Ford switch and try to figure it out. Thought a quick answer would save me tons of time
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, so you do have the harness to the motor so you don't need that end right?

As I posted above I believe the switch is marked with the letter designation you can see on the diagram I posed above but it may take a little work with an ohmeter if not. I can help you check this but use the diagram I posted above to see which color goes to which letter pin on the switch. Any autopart store will have the switch for about $25, get the one for the standard wipers.

Have you viewed the diagram I posed above?

Do you have an ohmeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a harness to the wiper motor, only about 18 inches of wires attached to motor. Truck had no factory wire harness, just ignition. I put in a EZ wire harness, GM headlight switch to mate up to EZ, everything is good except for wipers, no switch and no idea but like I said I will pick up a Ford switch and hope it has some markings on it.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

That is enough harness.

Depending on how much power they have for the ignition you may need to wire another toggle to give power to the wipers. The switches have a limit on how much current you can run through them.

You don't need a Ford switch just a BWD, Standard or Dorman from a parts store.

If the switch is not marked let me know and I will help you measure it to be sure where it goes.

Have you looked at the diagram I posted above so I can run through it with you and explain the connections?