Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2006 Ford expedition with a Triton 5.4. It is

Customer Question
Customer: I have a 2006...
Customer: I have a 2006 Ford expedition with a Triton 5.4. It is getting poor mileage, has no power going up hill and is making a squeeling noise that happens going up hill
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Cruise still works.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
This problem is related to the cruise I think. Its not pulleys or belt. It sounds like a vacuum leak that is directly related to throttle position. I had the codes red and the only code was High Circuit Cruise Control. The center brake light on the Hatch is burned out. I have replaced the MAF, Coils and Plugs. It was starting to make the noise before I had the plugs done. My mileage has dropped about two mpg in the last few months. Engine runs otherwise smooth.
The code was PO581.
12/20/2015
Ford Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

I am sorry for the long wait

that code P0581 should not cause this low power bad fuel mileage issue and usually boils down to a bad cruise switch or the clock spring under the air bad or rare the wiring under the steering column

with that being the only code set these type of issues end up being something the computer is not picking up on

most of these doing this type of complaints you have end up being a basic tune up item so to say of a restricted fuel filer and a few with a restricted cat converter and some with lazy O2 sensors not controlling the fuel into the engine correctly

your best bet is going to be to replace the fuel filter and if it still does this remove an O2 sensor in FRONT of the cat engine side so to say right out of the exhaust and take it for a quick ride and see if the power comes back on a quick road test if it does the cat is restricted

if all of that checks out the vehicle would need to be driven while it acting up with a higher end scan tool monitoring engine live data and see what the O2 readings are ect..and see which reading is showing out of spec

with no other codes set that is the direction you have to go

how are you making out ?

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Gary
Gary
Gary, Technician