Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1994 f350 w/ 351w. I have replaced coil, ignition

Customer Question

I have a 1994 f350 w/ 351w.
I have replaced coil, ignition module on fender, spark plugs coil wire ,distributor cap, and rotor. when you pull coil wire from distributor cap it will spark once and when you crank engine no spark. then when you pull from coil and arc with screw driver it sparks well and then will fire all day long, next day same problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The one thing you have not replaced may very well be the cause of the problem you are having and that would be the distributor pickup coil. In order to determine if that is the case you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20spark%20Dec%2020.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can the distributor pick up coil be replaced easily or do you recommend replacing entire distributor?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

To replace the pick up coil the distributor has to come out and the drive gear has to be pressed off. In most cases is much easier to just replace the distributor assembly since your removing it anyways.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am no real mechanic. Is pulling distributor out a hassle? I do not want to get over my head.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Its not to bad, you will need to line the distributor rotor up with the number one position on the cap before you remove it and reinstall it in the same position. If it has tested bad and your not comfortable do this you may want to consider having it done.