Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1998 Ford F 150 Triton X 4.6 V/8 I have very little

Customer Question
I have a 1998 Ford...
I have a 1998 Ford F 150 Triton X 4.6 V/8
I have very little heat from heating system.
I am loosing antifreeze but dont know where its going.
appears through the exhaust? Motor runs OK.
I had a new water pump in new radiator and flushed the system.
gets low on anifreeze andthesensor comes on slowing the engine.
I havedspent 2000 dollars and mechanics cannot determin the problem?
Cracked heads , gsskets or block? Never got overheated and cyl tests OK!
Got any solutions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
12/14/2015
Ford Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

if you have coolant loss you can't immediatly find then it could be 1 of these

If you have a tiny pinhole leak in a radiator then these often don't leak water but will lose water as steam ( steam molecules being small enough to pass through the hole where liquid cannot) take a look on the rad for any signs of localised corrosion and for areas that look like they've been 'steam cleaned'.

If all of this is OK it may be worth replacing the header tank cap as again you can lose coolant as steam if this is blowing off too early ( the cap should hold pressure of around 1Bar)

The other thing to try is a head gasket / block test kit as these take a coolant sample and analyse it for any signs of combustion gas - if present this would indicate the head gasket is on its way out

http://www.uktools.com/block-tester-p-12508.html

and finally its worth checking over the surface of the heater matrix for any dampness as I've know tiny leaks through the matrix leaking out as steam very gradually into the cabin

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

Matt, Engineer