Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2005 ford five hundred. The car will just shut down all

Customer Question
lights except headlights and it...
2005 ford five hundred. The car will just shut down all lights except headlights and it will still run. It's acting like bad alternator. But the alternate is putting our 14.2 at idle.when this issue happens every accessory shuts down except headlights
and the engine. And now the dash shows check engine and reactions control and abs lights.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
12/12/2015
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

A faulty alternator would affect everything electrical while the engine is running. This doesn't sound like an alternator problem.

There are a few fuses I want you to check for voltage when this problem is occurring, the fuse #29 and fuse #34 in the battery junction block, under the hood.

Also fuse #1, in the same block.

Last night the car wouldn't start and I jumped it but I didn't even have the other vehicle running I just connected battery to battery and started it and the alternator was putting out 14.4 V it ran for about 20 minutes and then it just died and once it died I check the battery again and it had 11 V and the minute you crank it would drop to seven or 6 V

You are going to have to charge that battery overnite at 4 amps.

Did you check for voltage at those fuses?

The battery is old so I will not likely replace anyway.

likely or not likely cause you said not likely.

Oh sorry, I will replace it as it is old anyway.

I would charge it and then take it in and have it load tested before buying a new one.

All fuses good. New battery as well. When I first fired up the car the alternator was putting out 12 ish volts. It rose o 14.4 in 20 sec or so. Does that mean anything? Does that car have a decoupling pulley on the alternator?

I have a Diesel engine and the charging system on it puts out only 12 volts at idle after first starting it up than after about 50 seconds or so, the idle kicks up and the alternator starts putting out the normal 14 volts. I was told this is because the glow plugs take up that voltage until they turn off.

That leads me to ask, is this a diesel?

I don't read that it has a decoupling pulley.

A ford Five hundred with a diesel?
It does not appear that you are familiar with the vehicle in question. I would like my question relisted.

It's impossible to remember what every single year, make and model has in it, but I will relist it.

Actually, you have to relist it.

Maybe you wouldn't remember the size of the engine, but a "Ford Mechanic" would know that ford does not make a fullsize diesel (or any other diesel) car in years.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician