A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have error codes P0161, P0102, P0443, P1451, P0135, P0136,

Customer Question

I have error codes P0161, P0102, P0443, P1451, P0135, P0136, P0141, P0155, P0156, P01409 and i want to rule out any codes that are related to Cats because i dont have any. My car is now misfiring inconsistently under 25 mph. i took it to the dealership and showed them the codes and they said "its a computer issue, we need would need to replace the computer and all the sensors for $2,000"
It began last weekend, we had a ton of rain.
my car used to go into "Limp Mode" (couldnt accel above 45-50 mph) when it rains so much, but never began to misfire. Last weekend my car jerked a few times on the way into work. when i went home it actually began to stall while idling and while cruising as well ( happened about 4-6 times at any speed). the next day i noticed an incosistent idle and a misfire within 25mph. Im a rookie, havent even changed my own oil yet. Please Help!
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

What 2000 Ford are you working on and what engine does it have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Base Ford Mustang 5 speed 3.8L
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Check fuse #8 in the dash fuse box. You may have lost reference voltage to the sensors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed fuse 8 last night.
disconnected MAF today to see if it was causing the misfire too
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Do the codes clear out and the check engine light go out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i wasnt able to check codes again but the misfiring did continue. can you tell me which codes relate to catalytic converters?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
check engine light is still on because of no cats
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

None of the codes you listed earlier point to bad converters.

P0102 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Low Input

P0135 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-11)

P0136 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-12)

P0141 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-125)

P0155 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-21)

P0156 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-22)

P0161 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction (HO2S-22)

P0443 - EVAP Control System Canister Purge Valve Circuit Malfunction

P1409 - EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

These are all circuit malfunctions and share the same fuse #8. They will not cause a miss fire. You either have a bad coil, plug wire or spark plug.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wow. so could the sensors malfunctioning be from getting wet?
Is the guy from the dealership right? its a computer issue?
Do i just need a tune up?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

You could have gotten water into the spark plug holes and that will cause the spark plug to miss fire. But no on the computer. If the codes clear and do not come back, do not replace the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so replace the plugs and see if codes are clear. i checked fuse 8 again to see if blew again for some reason but its fine.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Try removing them and cleaning them and checking them for cracks and also check the gaps. Then reinstall them and retest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced my spark plugs and wires (because i passed 100,000 recently and never had a tune up). Spark plugs last week, wires today After i changed the plugs I noticed that the car was no longer jerking below 25 mph but the acceleration was still very labored. I had autozone pull the codes again and it only threw one, PO102. i also noticed around this time that whenever i turned the ac on and tried to accelerate from a stop, my car felt like it wanted to give out completely.
I changed the wires today. Now the cars sounds better and it feels like it should be the fastest thing on the road. i unplugged the MAF to test drive.
-still has a labored start.
-My exhaust pops now
-The AC is still killing her
-now Im smelling fuel
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

P0102 is still for the MAF. It will cause all the issues you are having. You may want to try cleaning the MAF with CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned it and there was progress with the acceleration. no more gas smell.
Still:
-Exhaust popping
-slightly labored accel
-Still wants to quit when AC is on
-Still throwing codeare you supposed to clean inside MAF too?
Should i clean throttle body with MAF cleaner?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Yes, clean inside the MAF sensor. Do not use the MAF cleaner for the throttle body. Use a throttle body spray cleaner for the throttle body.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i confused myself. inside of the MAF compartment?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Only the sensor. But make sure there is no dirt or debris in the filter housing or the MAF tube.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that didnt help
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Then have the MAF replaced and then disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to clear the PCM (Engine Computer) memory.