Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

My name is ***** *****. I have a 1999 Ford Expedition with a

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I have a 1999 Ford Expedition with a 5.4L engine. It has 267,000miles on it. Recently it died while driving at approximately 50mph. It acted like it was out of gas, but it wasn't. It would not restart. The next morning it restarted fine. It now does this constantly after about 20 minutes of driving. It dies and 50% of the time I can restart it but it dies again and 50% of the time it wont restart until the next day.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The fuel pressure checked out, the fuel pump relay "clicks". One mechanic said I sound replace the fuel pump and the cam shaft position sensor, but I don't want to just throw parts at the truck.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

Most likely the power relay( ASD RELAY) is overheating and causing the truck to shut down, This power relay controls voltage to the ignition system. There is a slight possibility that the fuel pump is heating up and shutting down the fuel as well. The best way to diagnose it would be with a live data scanner on record mode while driving the truck and at the time of the shut down the scanner will take an electronic picture of the malfunctioning component. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not Please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the ASD relay located?

In the main power relay control box under the hood. ASD stands for Auto Shut Down Relay, after time and miles the contacts in it wear away and cause heat build up which causes the relay to intermittently fail. I have replaced about a couple hundred of them. Most likely it is your failure. Mid way through 1999 Ford redesigned the relay and incorporated it in GEM module going into the year 2000. So depending on your production date before or after 6/of 1999 will determine the location. The gem module is buried in the dash of the driver's side and requires programming once it is replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I had to call it a night last night. My Expedition was built 6/1998.
This morning it would not start at all.
The power distribution box under the hood only has a Fuel Pump relay, nothing with a label ASD.
I will try to start it tomorrow. This is going to be a Saturday project. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Go here alldatdiy.com to obtain accurate wiring diagrams ,repair procedures, component locations and add you vehicle to their data base for a period of 1 yr for less than $10, so if you need additional technical info on your vehicle you will have access to it. Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not Please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Please RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, Please ASK me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.