Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2002 Ranger. Had a fender bender accident that nonetheless

Customer Question
Customer: 2002 Ranger. Had...
Customer: 2002 Ranger. Had a fender bender accident that nonetheless deployed both air bags. I have the air bags out. I don't think I have pre-tensioners since the seat belts are not locked up. What do I have to do to replace the airbags and get this thing back on the road?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Do I need a new module and, if yes, where is it? This vehicle is not worth taking to the dealer if I can help it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/7/2015
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 1 year ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

you may or may not need the tensioners. when you replace all the parts and re check the system, you need to see if it codes for them

you will need 2 air bags, srs module and re flashing and replacing both crash sensors. thats a start

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What does reflashing a crash sensor mean/ And where are the crash sensors?

the control module comes without a program. it must be programmed to your vehicle. the crash sensors are what sets off the air bags. they are in the front of the truck and must be replaced.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everything I can find on the web says there are not separate crash sensors (and I could not find any). It appears that I need the driver and passenger airbags and the RCM. The Ford part number is ***** I got that out from under the cup holder/console. Is this correct?

yes, correct. there are crash sensors in the front as they are what told the module to deploy the air bags.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where are they and what do they look like? I am getting a 1-9 airbag light code when I turn on the truck. What does that mean?

I stand corrected. they are part of the module you located. sorry, they list them but the fine print I did not read.

Roy

2002 Ford Truck Ranger 4WD V6-4.0L VIN E

Vehicle » Restraints and Safety Systems » Air Bag Systems » Impact Sensor » Description and Operation

• Description and Operation

WARNING: THE RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE (RCM) ORIENTATION IS CRITICAL FOR CORRECT SYSTEM OPERATION. IF A VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH AN AIR BAG SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN A COLLISION IN WHICH THE CENTER TUNNEL AREA HAS BEEN DAMAGED, INSPECT THE MOUNTING AND BRACKET FOR DEFORMATION. IF DAMAGED, THE RCM MUST BE REPLACED WHETHER OR NOT THE AIR BAGS HAVE DEPLOYED. IN ADDITION, MAKE SURE THE AREA OF THE RCM MOUNTING IS RESTORED TO ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION.

For this vehicle the SRS employs two impact sensors which are integral to the RCM and are not separately serviceable. The RCM is mounted on the center tunnel under the instrument panel. Mounting orientation is critical for correct operation of all impact sensors.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This was a pretty minor collision. There is no damage at all to the mounting bracket or the RCM. Can I just get new airbags and have the dealer reprogram the current module to the new airbags? Any info on the 1-9 code?

once the bags are deployed, the rcm has to be replaced. it is not able to be re used.

I am looking for the code

Roy

Vehicle » Restraints and Safety Systems » Repairs and Inspections Required After a Collision » Service and Repair » Inspection and Repair After a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Deployment

• Inspection and Repair After a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Deployment

INSPECTION AND REPAIR AFTER SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) DEPLOYMENT

WARNING: Remove restraint system diagnostic tools from the vehicle prior to road testing. If tools are not removed, the supplemental restraint system (SRS) device may not deploy in a crash. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury or death in a crash and possibly violate vehicle safety standards.

NOTE: After diagnosing or repairing a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), the restraint system diagnostic tools (if required) must be removed before operating the vehicle over the road.

NOTE: Deployable devices (such as air bag modules, pretensioners) may deploy alone or in various combinations depending on the impact event.

NOTE: Always refer to the appropriate repair procedures prior to carrying out vehicle repairs affecting the SRS and safety belt system.

NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

All vehicles

1. NOTE: Refer to the correct removal and installation procedure for all SRS components being installed.

When any deployable device or combination of devices have deployed and/or the Restraints Control Module (RCM) has DTC B1231/B1193:00 (Event Threshold Exceeded) in memory, the repair of the vehicle SRS is to include the removal of all deployed devices and the installation of new deployable devices, the removal and installation of new impact sensors and the removal and installation of a new RCM. DTCs must be cleared from all required modules after repairs are carried out.

Vehicles with Occupant Classification System (OCS) system

1. NOTE: After installation of new Occupant Classification System (OCS) components, carry out the Occupant Classification System (OCS) System Reset procedure.

When a vehicle has been involved in a collision and the Occupant Classification System Module (OCSM) has DTC B1231/B1193:00 stored in memory, the repair of the OCS system is to include the following procedures for the specified system:

• For rail-type OCS system, inspect the passenger side floorpan for damage and repair as necessary. Install new OCS system rails. Do not install a new OCSM unless DTC B1231 cannot be cleared.
  • For weight sensor bolt-type OCS system, inspect the passenger side floorpan for damage and repair as necessary. Install a new seat track with OCS system weight sensor bolts. DTC must be cleared from the OCSM before carrying out Occupant Classification System (OCS) System Reset. Do not install 3 new OCSM unless DTC B1231/B1193:00 cannot be cleared.
  • For bladder-type OCS system, inspect for damage and repair as necessary. If installation of an OCS system component is required, an OCS system service kit must be installed.

All vehicles

1. When any damage to the impact sensor mounting points or mounting hardware has occurred, repair or install new mounting points and mounting hardware as needed.
  2. When the driver air bag module has deployed, a new clockspring must be installed.
  3. New driver and/or front passenger safety belt systems (including retractors, buckles and height adjusters) must be installed if the vehicle is involved in a collision that results in deployment of the driver and/or front passenger safety belt pretensioners.
  4. Inspect the entire vehicle for damage, including the following components:
    • Steering column (deployable column if equipped)
    • Instrument panel knee bolsters and mounting points
    • Instrument panel braces and brackets
    • Instrument panel and mounting points
    • Seats and seat mounting points
    • Safety belts, safety belt buckles and safety belt retractors
    • SRS wiring, wiring harnesses and connectors
  1. Afier carrying out the review and inspection of the entire vehicle for damage, repair or install new components as needed.

© 2015 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions

Vehicle » Restraints and Safety Systems » Repairs and Inspections Required After a Collision » Service and Repair » Safety Belt Procedure After A Collision

• Safety Belt Procedure After A Collision
  1. Before installing the new safety belt assembly, the safety belt attaching areas must be inspected for damage and distortion. If the attaching points are damaged and distorted, the sheet metal must be reworked back to its original shape and structural integrity.

WARNING: ALL SAFETY BELT ASSEMBLIES INCLUDING RETRACTORS, BUCKLES, FRONT SEAT BELT BUCKLE SUPPORT ASSEMBLIES (SLIDE BAR), SHOULDER BELT HEIGHT ADJUSTERS, IF SO EQUIPPED, CHILD SAFETY SEAT TETHER ATTACHMENTS, AND ATTACHING HARDWARE SHOULD BE INSPECTED AFTER ANY COLLISION. ALL BELT ASSEMBLIES SHOULD BE REPLACED UNLESS A QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN FINDS THE ASSEMBLIES SHOW NO DAMAGE AND OPERATE CORRECTLY. BELT ASSEMBLIES NOT IN USE DURING A COLLISION SHOULD ALSO BE INSPECTED AND REPLACED IF EITHER DAMAGE OR IMPROPER OPERATION IS NOTED.

NOTE: Safety belt assemblies should be periodically inspected to make sure they have not become damaged and that they remain in correct operating condition, particularly if they have been subjected to severe stress.

1. Install the new safety belt(s) using the appropriate instructions. Perform the Functional Test. See: Seat Belt Systems\Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\Functional Test

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know if this vehicle has the seat belt pretensioners I have read about? It seems that if it did, the seat belts would be locked up with the ball bearings deployed. They slide freely now and no rattle from bearings inside the unit. As I said, minor collision. Still can't believe the airbags deployed. The VIN is 1FTZR45EX2PA28696

yes they do.

the bags are set for an impact at 15 mph.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the seat belts are not locked, can I assume they are operational?

I would assume that also.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I get used airbags and module and install them, are there any other steps I would need to take?

the used module will not work as it is flashed to another vehicle. the bags will work.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can the used one be reflashed as you said? Any idea on price for a dealer to service it?

flashing is about 100-125. 50-50 chance it will take but in most cases it does not take the flash and you will still be out the money.

Roy

roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest