Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Ford pickup won't start

Customer Question

Ford pickup won't start
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the engine cranking over with the starter when this occurs or is the starter not engaging?

Has anything been checked or tested for this issue at all so far or anything replaced to try and correct this issue?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine turns over, getting fuel, replaced coil ,no fire to plugs, been setting for while , was fine when parked
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked to make sure all fuses are o.k. in all fuse panels?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was running and going dead would start back now it won't
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,can you tell me what liter engine is in this model here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.0
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Was the ignition module ever replaced (attached to the distributor)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,the biggest issue on this model for a no start no spark issue and can be intermittent at first is the fault with the ignition control module located on the side of the distributor.

Test each wire for 0 voltage at this module with the key off.If this is o.k. turn on the key and test for around 12 volts at the red wire with light green stripe. and o volts at the red wire with light blue stripe.If these are o.k. and if your starter is engaging but you have no spark and no start the ignition module needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced module still no fire
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Did you test for power at the wires posted above?

Is the rotor turning in the distributor when cranking over the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also checked timing still in time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On mine the module is on firewall if it makes a difference
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any spark on any spark plug wire or post at all including if you have an external coil is there any spark from it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No spark have replaced coil also
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Are you sure there is no ignition module attached to the distributor on this vehicle here as my info shows something otherwise?Let me know so we can continue from here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure it's on firewall
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,I will have to walk you through each test step.First step with key off disconnect the connection at the ignition module.Test and see if any of the wires at this connector have any voltage on them and let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry had to go to work. I checked plug at module No voltage with switch off. Voltage on red wire with green strip with switch on 12.33 volts Nothing on any other wires
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Check for any wiring issues leading from the module to the distributor and see if any wiring issues are found needing repaired.Let me know if you find anything here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't find anything wrong with wireing did find ants in harness
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Truck started after sitting for about week ran about 5 seconds and died back to same thing again
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Was the ignition coil ever replaced on this model here for this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has new one now
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you access the electronic ignition switch so we can test some wiring at it to see if the correct signals are present?