Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 13 Ford Raptor that the engine turns over but won't

Customer Question

I have a 13 Ford Raptor that the engine turns over but won't start. Did it yesterday and after trying to start many times over several hours it started just fine. Now this morning it has done it again and we haven't been able to get it started. Any suggestions we are an Hour plus from any mechanics or wrecker services in western Oklahoma. Thinking it might be something with the security system but that's a guess
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One common component I have seen fail and cause this issue here is the crank position sensor itself.This sensor is seated at the back of the engine/transmission where the transmisison bolts up to the top of the engine on the drivers side.This sensor heats up or in some cases just acts up intermittently on its own and causes this here.Usually the vehicle has to sit anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more before the sensor will operate again and allow the engine to start.

If there is a security light or anti theft light (it may look like a picture of a car with a lock across it) flashing on the dash when you try and start and release the key then this is a security fault and the most common cause is usually the key itself as it can fail and cause this here.I have also seen the immobilizer sensor fail and fail to pick up the key signal and cause this as well.Unfortunately to be able to determine which is the cause here the fault codes would need checked/read out to see what codes are set and then from there diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.I can say most common is usually the key itself.If this light is not staying on steady or flashing when you either crank over the engine or when you let go of the key (without turning the key back any) then this isnt a security fault here and most likely you have a failing crank sensor needing replaced.

The crank sensor on this engine (6.2 liter) runs about $28 and can take 3 hours to have replaced due to its location but is a very common component to cause this.

Unfortunately there isnt any work around with the theft system or crank sensor when these are at fault and it has to be repaired/replaced in order to correct this here.Below is a picture of the crank sensor location.The only thing you can do here is keep trying to see if it will start by cranking it over every few minutes removing and reinserting the key each time or have it towed to a repair facility.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6r27zdwx8mylipb/ckp-12-06.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete