Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have an 86 ranger with a 2.9 V6. Coolant is leaking and

Customer Question

I have an 86 ranger with a 2.9 V6. Coolant is leaking and pooling on top of the lower intake manifold. also dripping down the back of the engine. It doesn't seem to be mixing with oil or blowing out the tailpipe so I dont think I have the dreaded cracked head or headgasket (hopefully). However I'm curious to know if you think the leak is from the intake gasket or if you think the manifold itself could be cracked and leaking. It seems to leak the most as the engine warms up. Once the engine is warm it does not leak as bad. Im running a 180 F thermostat right now to try and maximize flow and help the issue but I didnt even have any overheating with the 192 F in there before, just some temp fluctuation.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Providing you have no leaking heater hoses running onto the the intake the leak is most likely caused by a leaking intake manifold gasket. In most cases if the gasket is seeping it will slow down as the engine reaches temp due to swelling of the gasket. The fix is most likely going to be to remove the intake and replace the gaskets. It is not likely due to a cracked intake.