Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

1990 f150 4.9 2 wheel drive. Had no problem, truck stopped

Customer Question

1990 f150 4.9***** Had no problem, truck stopped while driving, thinking no gas. I changed the filter, did not work.got it towed home new pump and tank. Changed the fuses under the hood. When it started, It would not start, so I flipped from front tank to the back tank, it would start. Did this for about 7 weeks. Now that don't work. Please point me in the rite direction
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help. It sounds like it's fuel pressure related to me, Did you check fuel pressure at the rail with key on yet? If not, and I had a fuel pressure gauge, I would do that now. Have you checked the fuel pump relay ? and check the inertia switch (fuel pump safety cut off switch) for power in and out when cranking? Let's make sure you have power at the inertia switch, I recommend a volt meter there, should have 12 volts like the battery, or a test light will work if you don't have a volt meter. If you have power at the inertia switch WHEN CRANKING, likely you do have power at the fuel pump. as the wire is a straight shot from inertia switch to fuel pump. There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail you can screw a fuel pressure gauge to, If you don't have a gauge tho, Spray some ether or carb cleaner right into the air intake, if you can make it run for a few seconds with that, it likely doesn't have fuel pressure. Let me know what you find there.