Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

We have a 2006 Ford Expedition with P0301 and P0303. We

Customer Question
changed out the wires and...
We have a 2006 Ford Expedition with P0301 and P0303. We changed out the wires and plugs. The P0303 is gone but even after cleared repeatedly, the P0301 comes on and the car goes into "limp" mode for just a few seconds with the Check Engine Light flashing. Then as I accelerate, it clears, and then starts again. I can get it up to 85 and then it clears up.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
11/29/2015
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 2 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Are there any ticking noises on the passenger side of the engine while it is idling and missing?

No.
Idle seems smooth, seems to be running well. Nothing else unusual.

Ok. Swap the coil and then the spark plug between cylinder #2 and see if the code changes to #2 cylinder. If it is still #1, it could be a bad injector or a rocker arm (Ford calls them followers) fell off.

You wouldn't think anything was wrong with it at all until I pull out of the parking lot and start to accelerate at medium pace. Then the light starts flashing.

Your engine has three valves per cylinder. If a follower fell off, you wouldn't notice it till you put a load on the engine.

We had swapped them earlier and still the P0301 and now we have a new one P0351 as well.

The P0351 is a coil driver failure for cylinder #1. Where are you getting the coils for your engine?

These came from autozone
Duralast. We've not had issues in the past.

Ok. Use a test light and disconnect #1 coil and start the engine and check for power on the RED wire and a pulsed ground on the other wire in the connector while the engine is running.

Done. The RED wire has power and the other wire has a pulsed ground.

It could be a bad coil. I do not recommend the aftermarket coils. But you have to use what you can afford and I completely understand that. Take one of the coils back and get a replacement one. Then retest the system. If the codes return, especially the P0351, the PCM (Engine Computer) will have to be replaced. The coil drivers are built into the PCM.

Actually now that I am sitting in the vehicle again with the key on and engine off, I do hear a faint clicking like tick-tock-tick-tock just on the passenger side.
We still have the P0301, but not the P0351 now. We swapped another coil we believe to be good. We are now going to take the one that we think is bad and put it on another cylinder.
What does the clicking noise mean?

Does the noise change when you change one of the settings on the AC controls?

Will check, but we just swapped out the #1 coil with the #5 coil, cleared codes and the P0301 came right back on after putting it under load. That is the only code.

You might want to swap the injectors between #1 and #2. You could have a slightly clogged injector. Swap them before replacing it.

We cleaned the injectors to start with, but ok. Also, the clicking noise remains with engine off and key on and does not change regardless of the a/c setting from on to off, change the mode, defrost on/off, etc. Stays constant.

It could be an electronic mode door motor for the AC system. Fully open the glove box and get the clicking noise to start and check the motors around the evaporato case under the dash. You will feel the clicking noise from one of the motors.

Ok, well that's secondary. Right now we just want to get the coil/spark/injector problem resolved. We are swapping 1 & 2 and I'm going to go drive it on the freeway and see what happens.

Ok. Just reply back when your ready.

Changed 1 and 2. Still the same P0301 code.

Check for power and ground to the injector the same way as the coil. See if you get constant power on the Red wire and a pulsed ground on the other.

Morning. We did the check on #2. And yes we have RED and pulsing ground. The engine is fairly new (factory Ford engine). Still only code is P0301.
Here's something else we noticed...we just replaced both dowstream O2 sensors as well and now we took it for a long test drive on the freeway with the ODB2 reader. On the live data, the STFT on the downstream sensors stays constant at 99.2% and doesn't change. Is this looking more like the PCM? We do seem to replace more of those than we should. Thanks

I have done a few also. But getting 99% constant is odd. You may want to check the converters also for that bank.

Ok, so what is the next step you recommend for the P0301 code we are still getting? We checked for the Red/Constant Pulse on #2 and that is also correct.

I would do a manual compression test on the engine and compare the readings to#2, 3 and 4.

Why 2, 3, and 4 when the code we are getting is for 1? I'm trying to learn also during this process :) Thanks

Sorry, I meant to do a manual compression test on #1 and then do that entire side and compare the readings. This will evaluate the mechanical parts of the engine without taking it apart.

A compression test will check for sticking valves and bad piston rings. The compression on each cylinder should be 175 psi.

A. Penland
A. Penland