HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Holmes
, I have a 96 Ranger that is having clutch

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Holmes
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 96 Ranger that is having clutch problems. I've repaired many clutch problems in my lifetime. I'm 69 and have never ran into this type problem before. The clutch started acting like it was not engaging, the would start pulling some, but slipping badly. Then it was if the clutch was adjusted wrong and would grab with pedal barelifted from the floor. Then it was as if the clutch was sticking to the floor (not the pedal) just the clutch. And you could feel a hard thump and the clutch would enguage real hard all at once. Does any of this make any sence to a professional?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes sir I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this vehicle uses a hydraulic internal slave cylinder inside the bellhousing of the transmission. If the slave cylinder is leaking it will cause this type of concern. With the clutch slipping at times it is most likely wearing down the clutch disc. You would have to replace the clutch and slave cylinder and bleed the system if you haven't done any of this already. The bleeding of the clutch is the tricky part since the bleeder screw is right above the fluid supply line. I take the clutch master out and mount it under the trans and bleed the clutch by stroking the clutch master being lower than the trans. This way I can keep an eye on the fluid level in the clutch master resouvoir and then reinstall the master with the line still attached.I usually replace the master & slave together with a new clutch