Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

I have a 2008 it seems not to go into regene it just smokes

Customer Question

i have a 2008 it seems not to go into regene it just smokes under the hood not out of the exhaust pipe like it use to do
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Is there also any noise coming from under the hood either when it is cold or after the engine warms up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no noise it just seems to regene under the engine compartment,it is not showing a regene on the dash
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Is it running rough or seem like it is miss firing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No misfire or a loss of coolant,when this happens it seems to lose power a little not a full shut down or limp mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this truck have any issues with not going into regeneration and not showing on the dash it is a 2008 f450 tow truck
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, they will go into regen and if not driven far enough to complete, it stops and tries to complete every time it is started, this can lead to the DPF getting clogged and if that happens the system cannot complete regen. in that case you need to do a manual regen. since your truck is a F450 and if it has the analog cluster you can perform a manual regen by going into setup and selecting manual regen In the options. If it has the Lariat package then you will have to take it to a dealer to have it performed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not a lariat model,this vehicle has a tendency to set and idle sometimes is is a repo truck with 201.000 miles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you put it into manual regene it does go off once the system is cleaned up?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, once you put it into manual regen it will stop once it is complete, unless the DPF is clogged beyond cleaning. the good news is there are companies that will clean them after you remove it from the truck, this saves you about $1900.00.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the push button on instrument cluster it went thru the basic checks but did not get to the regeneration process.Battery voltage,door open,to empty,pushed menu but nothing showed up.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

there is a way to do it, I will do more research for you and get back to you if that is okay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

I am still looking for the procedure for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

During the use of OCR, you may observe a light amount of white

smoke. This is normal.
1. Start with the vehicle engine fully warmed.
2. Press the Info button on the steering wheel until the message center
reads

EXHAUST FILTER XXX% FULL.

3. If the DPF needs cleaning and the vehicle is warmed up, a message
requesting permission to initiate filter cleaning is displayed

EXH XXX%

FULL CLEAN Y/N

. Answering yes to this prompt and then following

prompts will initiate OCR. Be sure to understand each prompt. If you are
not sure what is being asked by each prompt, contact your authorized dealer.​

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at truck again only thing on steering wheel is the cruise control buttons on/off and resume only.The instrument cluster has a button marked select/set but does not go to anything about the regeneration,just what i indicated before????
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

If there isn't an INFO button then the only way is to have it done at your Ford dealer with their IDS.