Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

===================
, Mr. Amedee:
, I have a

Customer Question
Customer: =================== JA: Thanks. Can...
Customer: ===================
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hello, Mr. Amedee:
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I have a long message, will wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
11/26/2015
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Your question didn;t come through. Can I get that question you are asking as well as vehicle info please? We will need the year, make, model of vehicle and the engine, trans, and VIN if related to those items. Thanks!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, Mr. Amedee, My name is***** I have a P73 Crown Victoria car, (retail model, civilian model) which has been running like a top for years, we have had it since new, it is a 1999 model, 4R70W transmission 350K miles. No major work ever on the car. The car has been well maintained and Ford does not make the car anymore, I know I could obtain a 2010, or 2011 model but it would be a LX model which has even more electronics to maintain. The problem I have is that the car recently started not wanting to start, although the starter turns, as if you are using the wrong key, (we use non-pats keys to open the doors, and trunk) it acts as if the door key is in the ignition, instead of the PATS key. So, I took this to be a PATS problem (PATS type "B" 1998-2002 Crown Victoria). I hate the PATS system -- it is always locking me out of the car when the car is running. The other day the car was driven 30 miles, parked for 2hrs. then it would not start. I have 3 PATS keys in the car, tried all three, none would start the car. I un-hooked the battery, waited 15 mins. and tried again, still no start with the first PATS key, tried the 2nd key, then it started. I just left the car running while I went to the grocery store, and it was still running when I came back (30 mins) there is no hesitation, or skipping once you get it cranked, so I do not think it is a fuel issue, but I am not an expert with electronics. In any event, and to try and make this rather long story shorter, here is what I did to try and fix this problem: I went to a junkyard and pulled a p71 (cop car) PCM module off of a 1999 "interceptor" car. I did this because 1999 cop cars do not have PATS, and I do not want a PATS system. I installed the cop car PCM without any programming, but the cop car PCM will not start the civilian car. So I put the original PCM back in and now the car will not start with either PCM. The PATS light flashes on and off quickly and you can hear the fuel pump going on and off quickly inside the gas tank, where normally it will come on only one time -- the sound is the same, it just cycles now. The PATS module is still hooked up. The starter relay on factory police cars was always grounded, and this is how a police car starts without PATS. But I do not know how to wire a starter relay to ground, at most, I would class myself as a "C" grade mechanic. I do know where the starter relay
is, because I pulled it off and the car stopped cranking. I am not trying to make a police car out of an old civilian car. I just do not want to be bothered with PATS anymore. Can you tell me what to do? I do have the VIN # ***** the donor police car, and the PCM is marked: XW7F-12A60-CB which is one of the ones supplied for 1999 police cars, (ARA1), MlC-411. I even opened the covers on the police car PCM, looking for water damage, insect nests, or markers of heat damage on the circuit board -- nothing the board looks brand new -- also none of the connector pins are bent -- I looked real close. I am not even trying to save money -- I just want the PATS system off the car. Since the car is not running anyway, could I send you the police car PCM and perhaps you could program the thing to work in the civilian car? I will pay standard repair fees and shipping for all services. Thanks.

I'm not Amedee and it appears you requested for him specifically.

I will opt out so he can take over. If he decides he is unable to assist, hopefully he will respond so another expert can assist.

Thanks.

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris and independent contractor that helps customers here.

The tech you requested has not been online and one that tried to help has opted out.

Would you like me to help you?

Thanks for letting me assist you. I hope I met all your expectations.

Please make sure to complete the required rating when ready so I am compensated by the website from the site and question fees you have already been charged. If your not able to rate my response, let me know why, so I can help more, and stay in contact with you.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician