Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ford explorer 2006..won't start..in changed battery..in checked

Customer Question
Ford explorer 2006..wont start..I changed...
Ford explorer 2006..wont start..I changed battery..i checked fuses into the drivers comparment and the fuses box outside on the motor and nothing found....the car does not even cranck.....
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
11/26/2015
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Hi there,

Do you hear a click or anything when you try to start it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is like the car has no battery

Ok

By that do you mean there isn't any electrical power to anything at all on the truck or just that there is no sound when trying to crank it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lights .radio turns on..but when i try to start not work
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Doesnt even crank
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tap the started with a tool but nothing happend

Ok thanks, ***** ***** helps me narrow it down. No battery power at all would mean something else entirely.

Since you don't even get a click from the starter when trying to start it, the most likely issue is the range switch on the transmission. This tells the computer that the truck is in park so it's ok to crank the engine. This is basically the only part that separates the key from the starter.

Try putting the truck into neutral and see if it will crank. Sometimes this will work when the switch is failing. Otherwise we need a test light to check the wiring from the switch on the transmission to confirm it is in fact the problem.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before i got broke down..I heard something under the driver seat and i smelled something like burn.... I was assuming is was starter maybe .....after that I got boosted and it turned on but with a noisy sound in the motor and after ten minutes driving it shutt off completely...

Ok, so now you are saying that you were able to jump start the engine and the starter turned over, but now there isn't any sound at all when you turn the key?
AND the engine died when the truck was actually running?

This is a heck of a lot different then my truck won't start.

Any lights on the dash on while all this was going on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No...the battery is good
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I changed battery.......and now when i try to turn it on it doesn even crank.....the first time when it someone gave me boost it cranked...but now nothing

You are going to need to check the range switch on the transmission to start with

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician