Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Hal Keck. My 2004 Ford Suburban heater doesn't work!
,

Customer Question
Customer: Hal Keck. My...
Customer: Hal Keck. My 2004 Ford Suburban heater does not work!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The heater does not throw out hot air after engine heats up!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
11/25/2015
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing to do here is to check and make sure the engine coolant level is full.If found to be full there are two common issues that will cause this fault here.

First a restricted heater core blocking the coolant flow from flowing through the heater core.You can try and correct this by removing the heater core hoses at the firewall and clamping off the hoses so you dont loose to much coolant then take a garden hose and flush through one port on the heater core and back through the other port flushing both ports until you have a good flow.Then reconnect the heater core hoses and top off the engine coolant.Then re check the heater operation.

If the heater still only blows cool or cold air the other cause that I see if a fault with the temp actuator on the heater box that isnt switching between hot and cold.I have had to replace the temp actuator several times before in the past for this issue here.This would need to be tested further electronically to see if for sure this is the cause here and replaced if found to be at fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician