Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My interior lights stay on and my door ajar light isnt on

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris and independent contractor that helps customers here.

With the engine running, and the doors one by one all 5 opened and closed, does the door ajar light respond correct per there position?

Is this all interior courtesy lights staying on or just one?

Thanks for letting me assist you. I hope I met all your expectations.

Please make sure to complete the required rating when ready so I am compensated by the website from the site and question fees you have already been charged. If your not able to rate my response, let me know why, so I can help more, and stay in contact with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought it a week ago to find there was no bulbs in the lights i went thru door switches and found a froze one in rear hatch installed the lights and they dont turn off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i pulled bulbs back out i pulled the relay and they turn off that way but then my windows dont work

Were you able to do the test I mentioned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what you mean if i open a doir up yes the door light comes on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other problem is the door locks dont work they make noise but dont move not if the problem is related

Thanks, ***** ***** needing to confirm each door individually opened did result in the door ajar warning illuminated. We are only allowed to diagnose one concern per post, though you can open a new post for the door locks, but I believe this diag is going to fix both. If you pull the interior lamp relay, the overhead lights then go out, correct? If you remove the headlight switch and unplug it, do the interior courtesy lamps go out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok the relay is in now i pulled headlight switch out still on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i put it back in if i use the dial to turn on the dome lights the get brighter when i turn it off the dim a little bit

Can you pull the interior lamp relay, and confirm the lights go off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok headlight switch is out and interior light relay is out lights are off windows dont work

Thanks, ***** ***** did the Ford pinpoint test for this concern. You need to remove the fuse box and the GEM module on the back of it, near your left knee. Take them apart and look for water damage. If you find this, replace both and have the windshield removed and replaced. If no water damage then the GEM module alone needs to be replaced and programmed. The GEM controls both of the issues you are having.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that what they call the engine control module called ford cant get one thru them

The ECM/PCM controls the engine, the GEM controls the electronic accessories. It would need to be a used part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would i have to get it programmed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know what other problems would be present

Yes you should have a replacement GEM programmed.

No other issues would be to blame for the interior lights except the GEM based on the diag steps you did.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iv talked to two diffrent shops to possibly have this done and both shops said ther would be more probs present wipers not working 4x4 not working every thing else works fantastic other than the dome light stayn on

Since a shop told you the GEM was not to blame, that means they would of told you what is to blame. What was the part to blame? Was this a Ford dealer that told you this? If you would like I can upload the Ford diag steps in private communication.

As mentioned in my first response, I would stay in contact with you. I've noticed you have not rated the post. So I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.