Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Just replaced battery 2008 ford f 150, now there is no power

Customer Question

just replaced battery 2008 ford f 150, now there is no power to anything ? help...
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you take your volt meter and check the voltage at the starter do you have at least 12.5 volts?

If the battery checks okay take your volt meter and back probe the negative cable and positive cable and see what the voltage reads a few inches back on the cable and let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a volt meter. My charger says the battery has 12.5 volts. New battery 650 CCA.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then since everything is dad in the truck we really need to check the voltage coming through the cables. Is there someway you can check this?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I am unable to make a phone call at the moment but will be glad to help you from this post. We need to start with checking the voltage coming out of the battery on the cables, if you had no problem before you installed the new battery it almost has to be a connection concern if you are sure the battery is fully charged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am certain of the battery status. I will go back and look at connections to the battery. Both leads are gang wired with insulated wires. Not sure if I will be able to locate any short in the cables. There should not have been any disconnects as all I did was disconnect the black lead first then the red the installed the battery and then connected the black lead first then the red. Truck ran fine until cold weather killed the old battery yesterday and rather than fool with a charge I just replaced the old battery. Old battery had been getting slower and slower as the weather turned colder. Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

All power to the truck comes from the battery as you know and if everything is dead then it has to be something to do with the cable and or the connections. Let start with rechecking them to be sure you have power out of the battery through the cables. Let me know and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I recall some years ago about certain vehicles had a reset button/switch that had to be reset under certain situations. Anything like that on this vehicle ? I will try and see if I can determine if power is making it out of battery through cables. Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Your 2008 does not have any reset switches, if you have a good battery and power out of it through the cables you should have power in the complete system. Let me know the results and we can work from there .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Ron, got a circuit tester. Have power from + cable..about 3 inches out. Still no response to motor, dash, lights. I do have a set of driving lights that are wired direct from battery and they work OK. ??? now what ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you go inside at the interior fuse panel , are you getting voltage to the fuses with the key on?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Check this for me next and let me know if all the fuses have key on power.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power at fuse box that I can tell, key on. Would seem issue is between fuse box and connection to cable from battery ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I would agree with that, power to the truck comes from the battery to the fuse panel on the yellow/light green wire from the connector at the battery harness. See the wiring diagram in the link below and have a close look at the connector where the yellow/lite green power wire connects. I think your going to find the problem there. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the link.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Battery%20Nov%2023.pdf

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Take a close look at the connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the battery or ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes right where the positive cable connects you should see the connector C1100, see the location in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/C1100%20Nov%2023.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, what should I be looking for ? a disconnect, break, ??
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Either and or both as well as possible corrosion in the connector, anything that may have been disturbed when you replaced the battery the yellow/lite green wire is the power wire that powers the interior fuse panel.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Locate the wire mentioned and check the voltage on it. It should match the battery voltage on both sides of the connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't find a yellow/lite green wire. There is a large red cable and a smaller red and black coming off of the battery connector. There is voltage to both of these.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Follow the smaller two wire to the connector, you very close.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a small wire that appears to be yellow/green sticking out of a hard plastic shroud that leads some where beneath the engine and smaller hard plastic shroud that has the same yellow/green wire leading back to the firewall. There appears to be no power to either of these wires.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The yellow/green is the power feed to the interior fuse panel. They both connect to the battery at the connector I showed you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are speaking of 1100 A, 1100 B, and 1100C correct ? I find only A and B. there is no C. Only to cables..Red and a red/black smaller cable. Both connect to the battery + cable
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct and there are only two , the third one is the positive battery cable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could this 3rd wire be bundled with the red/black cable ? The big red cable and this smaller cable are the only tied to the positive battery terminal.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the wire likely change colors at the connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your assistance. There is still no power to the fuse box and therefore none to the truck engine...anything. I will have the truck towed tomorrow and see what the mechanics here can find. Truck has only 86,000 on it so there should not be much wrong. Maybe a fuseable link blew, but I do not have the tools to chase it down. My wife is ill and I must divert my attention to her needs now. Thanks again.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

It is caused by the fact the yellow .green wire dose not have any power, they find the source of that and you should be good to go, I don't think its going to be a costly repair as well. Im here if you need me , Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.