Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2001 F-250 Super Duty /gas It won't start. battery

Customer Question
is fine....
I have a 2001 F-250 Super Duty /gas It won't start. battery is fine.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
11/23/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you fro your question,

Are you working on a standard transmission or an automatic?

When you turn the key to the crank potion do you get a click of the starter solenoid?

Automatic,yes it clicks

Okay if its clicking then that means the ignition switch and fuse checks okay, power to the starter flows out of the ignition switch through fuse 20 and down to the Transmission Range (TR) sensor, Are you able to do some quick testing with a 12 volt test light or a volt meter?

no

Okay the clicking you are hearing is likely the starter solenoid located on the passenger side fire wall and if its clicking then its seeing the start signal , the next steps would be to check for power at the small start wire at the starter as well as the larger battery cable while holding the key in the crank position. If you have power there then that means the stater has failed. Unfortunately there is no way to know for sure with out checking the power at the starter. One thing you can try is have a helper hold the key in the crank position and go down under the truck and smack the starter a few time with a small hammer, in some cases if the brushes are stuck it will allow the starter to engage and start. Since you can not test it, try smacking the starter and see if it will start. If so then it will need to be replaced.

are you still there?

Yes, Im here

How can I help you?

still need help on F-250

Okay have you tried what I suggested?

I don't have a voltage meter or light

Well one thing you can try is to have a helper hold the key in the crank position and get under the truck and smack the stater a few time with a small hammer. If the brushes are sticking it will usually allow the starter to crank . Try that. If that does not work then you are going to need to find someone who can help you do the test steps.

It's not the starter, it's a fuel problem

You told me it will not crank over and only clicks, is that not the case?

it's not the starter. It's a fuel problem.

Okay so does the engine crank over but just not run?

Okay then if you suspect its a fuel problem you may have a failing fuel pump, unfortunately to determine that you are still going to need to be able to check for key on cranking power at the fuel pump. I am not sure how your going to do that if you do not have a test light and or volt meter. Is there someone that can help you with this if I walk them through tit?

I did check all the fuses& they were OK

Okay then the next step would be to check to see if the fuel pump is getting power while cranking the engine. Is there someone that can help you do that If I walk them through it?

I'm calling the garage.

Okay, if you need the test step for them I will send them for you.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician