rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I am trying to remove A/C from my 1984 Ford F-150 v8 ford

Customer Question

I am trying to remove A/C from my 1984 Ford F-150 v8 ford truck to later on have a R-134 type A/C . Currently my A /C does not run and I am removing water pump, radiator , upper / lower hoses and thermostat housing .is it environmentally safe to remove this R -12 system ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Best move you can make, I did the same thing with my Chevy truck. It's now R134.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ron ... First .. I am a hobbyst not a skilled mechanic although I enjoy working on old vehicles ( according to my skill level) .. I have replaced components from my old vehicles 1978 Dodge Ram starters , change my oil
I will eventually replace drivetrain on this truck since I really , really like it ( it's a step side)
I won't go as far as rebuilding the engine myself
(Best to leave it to others) I work as boiler technician /electrician so I am not afraid to get dirty
Vehicle has been sitting for a year and a half now
Nothing was wrong with truck ... But I wanted to replace water pump , radiator, hoses
Yesterday I ran into a problem .... I broke a small plastic handle brush in the timing chain cover and the head of brush ( brass) went into the block part ....I removed the cover but not the vibration damper .. And tried fishing the head of brush out ....this is the left part of block as you face engine. Went to Harbor Freight and got a set of gear pulley to remove damper
If I can't get brush out .. ( brush head keeps going from right side of block to head part of block
If I can't get this out ( brush head is about 1 inch long) I may have to take or have someone else take out entire engine out( after towing truck out of my my garage)... That's why I am asking about removing A/C since truck has not had A/C operating since I bought it in 2011
It only has about 87K original miles
Specifically I want to know what valves to isolate or I don't know if I can just yank condenser , evaporator and compressor assembly together
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't use ANY junk yard parts, please buy all new as to eliminate future problems.

Thanks again, and good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like answers in writing please.. So I can refer back to expert's advice in future instead of a verbal answer that I will probably forget in detail
I am only using new parts on this vehicle
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

This is in writing, feel free to print out this thread and don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again for this issue.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure about this . I have not seen any recommendations /advice relating to my specific question regarding the removal of my A/C -
( R-12 system ) in my 1984 f-150 XL 5.0 L engine
I read you said " not to use any junkyard parts "
Please tell me this is not the advise I paid for regarding my specific question ?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Junk yard parts are just that, junk. If that's your choice then ok. My opinion from all that I see is to not use them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No , your did not nearly touched the subject on the technical advise I was looking for. My sister -in law could have told me what you you told me : " don't use junkyard parts " and not charge $ 38.00 dollars for it. Are you getting what I am asking you ??
What lines / isolation valves can I safely cap / remove from My 1984 F -150 XL 5.0L truck ?