Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Shawn, How does this work and how much does it cost?? I have

Customer Question
Hi Shawn, my name is*****...
Hi Shawn, my name is***** does this work and how much does it cost?? I have no problem paying for your time and knowledge. As long as your research remedies the problem, I'm ALL for that!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
11/21/2015
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 year ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, the site works by what you already done, place a deposit in your account on the website based on the importance or depth of the question. You will give me a brief on what type of vehicle you have, year- make - model - engine size etc. Then explain any work you may have done to try to fix this up to now and I will go back and forth and give you the information you need to resolve your concern. The money you deposited stays inyour account until you rate and accept my answer. Even after you have accepted the my answer and I get paid for assisting you, we can still go back and forth if you have any follow up questions regarding the same repair.

So how can I help you today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I have a 03 F150 Harley Truck with the 5.4l (SC) motor. I was told at the ford dealership that I had a bad fuel injector and needed to replaced!! Up to this point I never had a problem with the truck and I'm the original owner! The motor has 73,000 and is garage kept!! It all started when I was driving home from work on the expressway, my truck started shacking like a rim was about to fall off. I bought all new Bosch injectors and installed them them just like the Ford service manual illustrated. I owned the 3 volume set .. When I tried to start up, it crank over but NOT start!! First time in 12 years it would not start. It will run for a second, if I spray some engine start in the intake. Here's where the fun begins, I have replaced all the spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel rail pressure regulator, and did a oil change for good measure.. I placed a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and have 38 psi, the pressure would hold until the key was turned .I also checked that the fuel pump was cycling on and and tested all the fuses and relays related to the fuel system. I checked the fuel cut off valve located on the pass kick panel. I used a Noid lite set to confirm the injectors are getting the voltage pulse and they all were!! I do have a new fuel pump that I have not installed yet, I can hear the old one cycle on!! I'm at a total lost right now to be honest!!! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and needed!! I own a car stereo business and this truck is a one of a kind. I do realize I need a expert like YOU :) Hope to hear from you soon, thanks again, have a great day!!

hello you said you have fuel pressure at the rail key on engine off but you loose fuel pressure when cranking? no issue with the red THEFT lamp flashing when you turn the key to on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No Sir, the light goes off !!

Ok but it looses fuel pressure when cranking or when does it loose presure? you said its got 38 psi at the rail so im wondering why you think it might be a fuel pump issue

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ready don't think it's a fuel pump issue!!

Right you got fuel pressure, you got spark, all you did was remove the fuel rail to change the injectors or did you go deeper on the topside of the engine, wondering if you have a loose ground or something left disconnected. Do you have access to a scan tool to check for codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a scan tool, no code pop up!!! I have double checked all connections?? going crazy!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had to disconnect a ton of parts to get the injectors and spark plugs, but all connections are back in place!!

If it ran before, it must be related to something you may have had your hands on in the repair process.Since you have fuel at the rail and injector pulse and spark. unless you have an issue with the new injectors? Since you have no codes thats a good sign. Do you have battery voltage at the mass air flow sensor, will it start and stall? will it run if you unplug the mass air flow sensor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have voltage at the MAF and when I unplug it, It still won't start??

The spark is a good blue spark? it will run for a few seconds when you spray it with carb cleaner. Sounds like a lack of fuel delivery possibly the wrong injectors? Did you verify with your parts vendor they arethe correct ones for the supercharged engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try to start, than it stall out!! You think all 8 injectors would go bad at the same time??? I checked and was told by vendor that these were the injectors I needed!! Then look just like the stock injectors! How can I test the spark plugs?

remove a spark plug and plug it into a coil and lay it on the engine so it can have a ground and crank the engine, you should have a good blue spark jump across the electrode and also plug in a noid lamp to the coil just like testing the injector for pulse

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me try! I'll get back to you soon my friend!!

No problem take your time im here most of the day pretty much everyday

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just verified again, these are the correct injectors for the supercharged 5.4l I'm starting to pull my hair out..lol

Ok verify spark, verify the spark plugs arent fouled out. take a look at them see if they are wet with fuel/flooded

Double check the injector pulse to the original cylinder the dealer said had an issue with the fuel injector

it hard to see injector flow with the fuel rail out if you wanted to lift one side of the rail and crank and see if you have a good spray pattern out of the injector but they will try and blow out of the rail unless you secure the injector to the rail. An injector flow test with a dealer style scantool would test injector flow without removing the injectors.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** do as you suggested and get back to you soon!! Thank you soooo much for for patients!!

Not a problem, something like this almost always winds up being something simple, just a trick to find out what it is

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, I pulled the fuel rail and the injectors are spraying a good pattern.. Also the spark plugs are firing!!! What else would prevent the truck from starting?? A vacuum leak?? A sensor? I'm going crazy my friend :) I need you to work your magic....Thanks........Have a good day.....

You have spark, you have fuel pressure, you have injector pulse, you have compression, unless something is restricting the airflow since you may have had the supercharge off or arts in that area its hard to say with no codes. Need 4 basics to run. try disconnecting the battery and cleaning the throttle body plate and retest, or issue with the idle air control valve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello my new friend, hope you had a good weekend? Sorry about the delay the shop was super busy Monday. So, the drama continues..... I did as you suggested and cleaned the throttle body, it looked like brand new when I was done!! I tried to start the again and it ran for a second and stalled out... I purchased a new idle air control valve and installed it, and the same thing??? It would start and stall out!! I also purchased a throttle position sensor and installed it. It would start and stall out!! I'm at a total lost my friend, I guess that's why you get paid the big bucks...lol Have a good day... I'm ready to whatever you suggest :)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, I forgot... I did disconnected the battery and still no codes pop up?? The truck don't run, one would think there should be a trouble code??? Thanks again........
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry again:) I never took off the supercharger, But I had to take for the supercharger bypass that had vacuum on it. also all EGR devices ... Everything is plugged in and triple checked!!! Trying to give you as much info as possible to help narrow down the problem....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello once again. When I was installing the injectors I had take off the supercharger bypass vacuum line, which had vacuum on it. I just pulled it off and have no vacuum on it whatever.. Would that keep it from running???

Hello, it wont have vacuum until the engine is running, I really dont know what else to suggest at this point so I will open this up to another expert to see if they can give you more assistance.

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris and independent contractor that helps customers here.

The previous tech has opted out. If you would like me to help we need to start back over since the prior techs help did not help.

Let me know what you want to do?

Thanks for letting me assist you. I hope I met all your expectations.

Please make sure to complete the required rating when ready so I am compensated by the website from the site and question fees you have already been charged. If your not able to rate my response, let me know why, so I can help more, and stay in contact with you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Chris, no problem I would appreciate any and all help!! I will send a recap soon.. Thanks for giving it a shot!!!

Are you saying you have 38 psi until trying to start, then it drops off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Morning Chris, sorry about the delay...No, the pressure is 38 psi and holding steady!! Here goes the GREAT mystery of 2015 for me!! lol. I'm the original owner of a 03 F150 Harley Davidson edition with the 5.4l supercharged motor with only 73,000 miles on the truck. Since the day I bought this truck I have never had a problem in 12 years and is always garage kept and giving lots of love. Well, it all started when I was driving home on the expressway from my stereo shop. Out of no where the truck started stacking like a rim was about to fall off.. The local Ford dealership ran a scan and I was told I had a bad injector. So, I purchased all new Bosch injectors for the motor and double checked that they were the correct ones for the supercharged motor, and they ARE correct. I installed the injectors just like the Ford Service Manuals illustrated, I have all three volume set from Ford!!! I labeled all parts and reinstalled them just the way I found them. I go the start my truck, for the first time in 12 years, it won't start :( Well Chris, here comes the fun part!! You ever work on a 5.4l(SC) motor?? Pain in the butt!! I installed all new spark plugs, new fuel filter, new fuel rail pressure regulator, new Idle control valve, throttle position sensor, new high flow thermostat and did a complete oil change with Lucas oil and new filters. If I spray carb cleaner in the intake it will start and then stall out.. I have pulled one side of fuel rail to check that the injectors are spraying and they are. I used a noid light to check the injector pulse, they are getting the needed pulse? I checked all coil packs and new spark plugs, they are good also... I removed the throttle body and cleanedit like new. It will still start and stall out!! I unplugged the MAP, to see if it would run, NO, the same problem!! Also, the red theft light goes off after a few seconds!! It's not that because I own a stereo shop and deal with every alarm made!! I'm at a total lost Chris?? This is a one one a kind demo vehicle and is so clean you can eat off the motor!! I'm pulling my hair out, I backed the truck up to install the injectors and since then I have been unable to start?? It worked and now it don't?? Does NOT make any sense at all!! Any help would be greatly appreciated Chris!! Have a good day, let's figure this out together!! Thanks again!!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Chris, You can call me anytime today. I took off to repair my truck, my name is ***** ***** in Memphis TN.......Thanks for any and all help!!!!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Chris, I also disconnected the battery, and connected back up! Still NO codes?? You would think there would be at least a diagnostic code since the truck has a serious problem?? Let me know>>>>
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello???

Yes I have worked on thousands of 5.4's and about 200 SC engines.

Not far from me. I am 30 minutes out of Nashville.

PS I do not work the morning noon shift, I like late. Wife is sick so I am inside and on early today.

Since it runs on starting fluid, its for sure not compression and spark.

Since this started after the injector replacement, lets stay there. Is it possible you got the wrong pound injectors and they are not spraying enough fuel and or to much?

The pressure specs are 35-45 KOEO and 28-50 KOER, so you are within specs there.

Will it start at full throttle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry to hear about your wife, I hope she feels better soon!! What's the best time to email you?? I have 38-42 psi, but one would think it would be the injectors?? Will not start at full throttle!! Almost tempted to install the old injectors and see what happens??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, what about a camshaft sensor or crank sensor???

Me too, babysitting is hard, well I guess its parenting when they are your own sons. 24 hour stomach bug going around the house.

Since you have spark, that means the CKP is reading.

Since you have injector pulse, that means the CMP is reading.

I do agree swapping the injectors back at least 4 of them is well worth a shot.

Respond whenever, any day, any time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also have two children, two Sons it's NOT a easy task. We married men know "happy wife, happy life!! Talk to you soon....

I was hoping to hunt today. Speedy recovery, and happy wife hopeful.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Go hunting, life is too short, enjoy!!! My problem can wait, I would go!! lol... Enjoy your day!!

I hunt everyday just about from 3-5. I am swamped with deer, so I do not have to go long hours. I can walk in and shoot before I can climb up the stand. I am just a meat hunter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm going to do the injectors, and I'll keep you posted Chris and Thank You for your help, happy hunting!!!

Thanks

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician