HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 1996 f250 7.3l with e4od. I just had the tranny

Customer Question

I have a 1996 f250 7.3l with e4od. I just had the tranny rebuilt. Put it in and it ran fine for a couple days. It then began to disengage after coming to a complete stop and would kind of jerk into 1st. The next day I was driving down the hwy around 65 mph and the OD light began flashing. Got off the hwy and the tranny then acted normally when at a stop, would not completely disengage. Would take off smoothly but shift hard into 2nd, a little hard into 3rd and 4th and hard into OD. I know the OD light is flashing because of a stored code. How do you retrieve the code? My truck has OBD2, but when I hook up my scan tool it shows no code. Is there a special scan tool you need or special procedure for pulling tranny codes?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, some of the transmission codes cant be read with every scan tool. So a higher end one would tell you more, but it sounds like the epc solenoid is in default mode and commanding maximum line pressure to get you home.Just a question if the jerking when coming to a stop is only from the trans solenoid body issue or a mechanical one. Try a different scan tool, with the light blinking its storing a code. Inspect the fluid if it smells bad or burnt especially after a fresh rebuild, something could have popped apart and causing the jerking 2-1 downshift