HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have an 04 Mercury Monterey. Transmission was replaced

Customer Question

I have an 04 Mercury Monterey. Transmission was replaced under the Ford Warranty about 100,000 miles ago. Now when driving about 2 hours, the transaxle lights starts flashing.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, with the warning light on it should be storing a code, it is possible the scan tool used could not read transmission codes. Does it have any symptoms and are you towing anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not towing anything. Only symptoms are some rough shifting when going from reverse to drive, or park to reverse. But then when driving, everything's fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mechanic is not a Ford Dealer, but certified in Ford's, so I would hope their scanner would pick up the codes. Maybe I should take it to the Dealer, just to be sure, since the Dealer replaced the Transmission originally?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, a hard or delayed engagement can be caused by a sticking pressure control solenoid in the solenoid body in the trans pan and wont typically set a code. with the mileage on the newer trans it can probably have a code stored for a slipping torque convertor clutch most likely or possible gear ratio code from a worn servo piston in the trans case. dealer can read all codes so that would be the way to go

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more information on this concern?