Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

2003 7.3 F350 NO START HAVE AE SOFTWARE 'T UNDERSTAND

Customer Question

2003 7.3 F350 NO START HAVE AE SOFTWARE DON'T UNDERSTAND READINGS
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

what would you like to know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Truck was running fine then died. have AE software and have performed KOEO test and injector buzz tests with no problem. have changed EBPS. IPR, IPS & CPS. When all sensors are connected get 65% duty cycle but no or little injector control pressure. If we unplug IPS we get 2200 psi control pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we did find fuse 103 50a blown and replaced but didnt blow again. the manual says its an ignition fuse. when codes are scaned we sometimes get p1280 injector control pressure low but get b1483 brake code all the time
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

did it start after you replaced the fuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no we still have no start. we did try a very small shot of starting fluid and it wanted to run but still wont run on its own
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Check the wires to the IPR, I have seen them break inside the covering, if they are good, then it could be a bad IPR or a bad high pressure pump. also check the pump reservoir, the oil should be about 1 to 1/2" below the cover.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have checked wires visually and have 5 volt reference at connector. oil is just below the hole in the reservoir. Have tried three different ipr's now
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

check the IPR connector for 12 volts at THE RED WIRE WITH THE KEY ON.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.4 with key on
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the fuses under the hood, these trucks had a problem with the fuel heater shorting out in the filter housing and blowing a 30amp fuse. I am not sure of the fuse number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no fuses under the hood on this model they are all under dash but couldn't find any blown other than the 50 a ignition fuse. we have checked every relay also for operation and continuity.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

will your scan tool read sensor values? Namely the ICP, it needs to be over 500 psi to fire the injectors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
icp psi with icp connected is 35 psi with it disconnected its 2200 psi.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Okay, you either have a bad high pressure pump or an internal leak in the engine. the reason you are seeing 2200 psi with the sensor unplugged is since the PCM isn't seeing a signal from the ICP sensor, it is using a default value programmed into it, this value is not a true reading, only what the PCM thinks it should be seeing.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

The next step is to block off the oil rails with the special tools and essentially dead head the pump to test it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have a known good pump we can swap out and test real quick.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

that will prove out the pump, but there could still be a leak at one of the injectors. I have to leave for a couple of hours, going to repair a convertible top on a 1962 Lincoln. I should be back in about 3hrs, let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no change 40 psi injector control pressure
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Then you must have a leak inside, possibly one of the injector orings

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't believe that can be it it has been running fine just shut off without a sputter like the key was turned off. have had many a leaky injector and they don't act like that.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 1 year ago.

Do you know some one who runs a repair shop that would have the block off tools to test the pump?