HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I am having a problem with my 2001 Ford Escape very similar

Customer Question

Chris - I am having a problem with my 2001 Ford Escape very similar to a previous question which you answered. In that answer, you referred the person to Ford tech Service Bulletin 06-9-3 about corroded connectors. I have checked all of the connectors in that bulletin, and found no evidence of corrosion or of any water presence. My problem started with damp weather, almost like wet wires, except there are not any ignition wires. Now it has become permanent. The engine wants to start, but just won't catch. I connected my OBD computer, and had no error codes. Also, when I checked individual devices, I had no registered input for easy things to check, like the throttle position sensor and air flow sensor. It seems that the PCM is not communicating with the diagnostic link, and maybe not the engine either. Are ther any other places to check for corrosion or loose connections that might cause this lack of communication? I have no other ideas. I thought maybe fuel pressure regulator, earlier, but I have replaced that without any change. Any thoughts?
3.0 V6 engine.
Art
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Chris isnt online at the moment, I can try and assist you if you like. Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned to on? Do you have power at pin 16 of the data link connector, the lower right last pin in the connector? Do you have fuel pressure at the rail with the new fuel pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine light has not illuminated. I believe it always comes on when you first turn the key, but to be honest, I haven't noticed while doing the diagnostics. Fuel pressure is good, although I could not connect anything to the shrader valve because of the throttlr body. Symptoms did not change at all after pump replacement. I did not check pin 16, but the red light on my diagnostic connector was on when plugged in.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, yes the check engine light should come on when the key is turned to on and go out when cranking, this will indicate the pcm is getting power from the eec power relay. The fuel pump relay is supplied power thru the eec power relay, so if you have fuel pressure you should have pcm operation. But you mentioned you cannot communicate with the pcm using a scan tool. Do you have ignition spark and injector pulse, will it try to run if you spray carb cleaner into the intake for a few seconds. Also does the red theft lamp blink fast when you turn the key to on or does it stay on steady for a few seconds and then go off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have both ignition and gas. The engine tries to start, but never gets going. It will pick up speed, like it is going to start, and then go back to just cranking. I have not tried spraying cleaner into the intake. The theft light does not blink. It is acting normally.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok and does the engine sound like its cranking over at a normal speed or does it sound like it is out of time? Did this problem just happen, or was this a result of doing a repair and start to have this problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the PCM located? Right kick panel? Is it possible to have a leak and corrosion on that side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine is cranking normally. No odd sounds or backfires and normal speed. This problem has been intermittent, in damp weather, until now. No repair preceded the problem.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

The pcm is located at the top center of the firewall as shown in the pdf file ive attached. its possible, but more likely an issue as mentioned in the tsb you are looking at

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I actually have removed and checked that connector.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Main thing would be to find out why you have no communciation with the pcm, it might just be a scan tool issue, see if it will run if you spray carb cleaner into the intake since you have spark which should be good blue spark and adequate fuel pressure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I can try that, but I am not sure when I will get to it. Back to work tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow night. Is there any troubleshooting I can do related to the communications?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

I would try another scan tool first before going deep into a communciation issue, verify the check engine light operation. try swapping out the eec power relay with horn relay for instance should be similar relay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Do I need to request you on my next visit? Or just come back to the question?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Just come back to this question, it remains open until rated and we can still discuss your issues

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thank you. Actually, one more thing. I don't have another scan tool available. But if the same tool works on one of my other cars, won't that prove the same thing?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

It should yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Good bye for now.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Very good, let me know what you find and verify pin 16 on the dlc is hot to power up the scan tool

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?