Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I'm having a problem with my 2010 v6 mustang, Dash says

Customer Question
I'm having a problem with...
I'm having a problem with my 2010 v6 mustang,
Dash says service advancetrac and all dash lights are on (abs, oil pressure, check engine, etc.) and this happens overnight when car is off and keys are out, I'll find it that way in the morning and battery will be drained and the only way to clear it is turn key on then off again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
11/14/2015
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, if you can share the 17 digit vin number I can check for a few possible problems for this concern

1ZVBP8AN5A5165752

Ok there doesnt seem to be any known issues for this concern for this model year vehicle. Are any of the warning lights on when driving the vehicle or everything works fine it is just an intermittent battery draw?

Everything seems to work fine there are no lights on while driving.

Ok then for some reason the instrument cluster is turning on which could be an issue either with the cluster itself or a short circuit in the smart junction fuse box in the right side kick panel, earlier model mustangs had issues with water leaks into the fuse box and could do similiar issues.

I did read something about the SJB but most of it was people having issues with there radios staying on, my radio is not staying on and also people were saying if it was a relay sticking in the SJB by banging slightly on the kick panel it should turn off, I tried that it didn't seem to help even with the battery have been completely dead when I hooked up the charger it was still there, the only way it clears is by turning ignition on and off, but if you have a better way of checking SJB I'll give it a try I did have a water issue a year ago I cleared out those rubber boots and since then I'm mindful of parking under trees and I check those boots every so often. I did have my glass roof replaced right before this started happening but it was done by ford and don't think it's related, also car is equipped with ford remote start since it was new

Right, the windshield cowl would fill with water when the boots would plug up with leaves and leak into the sjb. Unbolt the fuse panel and check for signs of corrosion or water intrusion to the connectors on the sjb

I checked the SJB I unplugged all the connectors I didn't see any signs of corrosion at all, I remember when I had the water issue it was dripping more from the center of the passengers side towards the blower motor also the SJB had a thin plastic shield over it that looks like it was designed to deflect dripping water, but anyway I didn't see any signs of water damage on the SJB or any water marks near or around it

Ok thats all I can suggest other than having a diagnostic check of the vehicle done to see if the instrument cluster or smart junction box have an codes stored for relays that control either module to indicate which circuit to test. We do see lots of issues with the instrument cluster itself so next time the lights are on just try banging on the dash to see if the lights go out or flicker to indicate an issue with the cluster itself

Ok thanks I'll give that a try I'll have to wait for it to happen again I'll let you know what happens

No problem, if you need more help or information just let me know. If I was helpful please hit accept and leave positive feedback so I get credit for assisting you

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans