HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 88 2.9L Ford ranger. If you let the truck cool

Customer Question

I have a 88 2.9L Ford ranger. If you let the truck cool down. It will run normal for about a minute. Then it starts running rough like its not getting fuel and it keeps doing it until it eventually dies. And all of this at idle with the truck in neutral
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, you only have a problem at idle, not while driving down the road? Is the check engine light on and have you had it checked for codes and fuel pressure tested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I while I'm driving down the road it still does it like I'll push the clutch in and go into the next gear I'll have to rev it to like 5 thousand rpm to get to second gear and it'll also die on me while I'm driving down the road when I get it out of first. Like it does not want to stay on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No check engine light and I haven't had any fuel pressure tests or codes ran on it yet. It just happened today. Like randomly.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok need to do a fuel pressure test to see if the engine is running lean, this will cause a lack of power. Also be a good idea to run a diagnostic check for codes if the check engine light is on or not to make sure you dont have an issue with map/maf sensor or other computer control system. Sounds like it may be just a fuel pump issue from what you are describing. Remove the fuel filter if it hasnt been changed recently and see if it is plugged, you should be able to blow through the filter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how I'm gonna run tests with the fuel pressure or codes, the truck won't make it anywhere without dying on me. I can look at the fuel filter though
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Ok should hve 30 psi of fuel pressure there is a test port on the fuel rail on the intake

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I went up to my truck today to try and move it to a better location and my original problem I had before was gone, seems like it fixed itself. Do you have any idea what could've caused it so I can replace the part so that it doesn't happen again
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

hard to say since its no longer not running properly or verified fuel pressure

Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started doing it again.... smh I gotta run some tests
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

very good, check fuel pressure and such and let me know what you find

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a fuel water separater on the truck?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

no thats only on a diesel application

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the mass flow sensor?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

if it uses one it would be at the air filter housing. otherwise it uses a MAP sensor on the firewall

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to test it?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but what do you want to test? did you verify fuel pressure was good?