rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

1996 ford windstar, ignition switch will not engage to shut

Customer Question

1996 ford windstar, ignition switch will not engage to shut vehicle OFF, I can bump the key to engage the starter pinion and bump into the turning flywheel, was told entire column had to be replaced, switch and or actuator can not be repaired. any truth to that? does Ford dealer service have capability to make this a resonable repair without replacing entire column?
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.

I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!

I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a "positive rating" in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why "in advance", so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Obviously, they did not diagnose it, they are replacing everything that has to do with the starting engagement. Pep Boy's wouldn't be my first choice with a problem such as this, there are many qualified shops that can do a real diagnosis for you.

Thanks, Ron