rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2004 Ford E150 Conversion Van with 106,000miles

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Ford E150 Conversion Van with 106,000miles that I have had major mpg issues with when towing a trailer. I knew the previous owner and with a heavier load was getting 12-14mpg but I am getting 6-8. I have done the following: new air filter, new thermostat, new spark plugs, new mass air flow sensor (got took on that one) and a vacuum line with a split was replaced. Even after all that I am still getting the same 6-8mpg's. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should add that I was told that all the Oxygen Sensors checked out by the shop that said my Mass Air Flow Sensor was bad and the cause of my mpg issues. However, the mpg issues continue after that repair.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.

I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!

I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a "positive rating" in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why "in advance", so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

If there were a fault in the computer system, a code would be set, so the best thing left to do is to scan the computer and watch the fuel trims for STFT and LTFT. These readings come from the O2 sensors and will be accurate or a code will be set.

Also be sure to check for any possible exhaust restrictions and any unneeded weight you may be hauling.

Thanks, Ron