Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

88 Ford F150 5.0. starts when cold. dies after warming up,

Customer Question
88 Frd F150 5.0. Starts...
88 Frd F150 5.0. Starts when cold. Dies after warming up, sitting still or driveing.Will not restart until it has cooled for several hours. It is not overheating. Have installed inlune fuel pump.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

Your 1988 has two fuel pumps, the pressure pump on the frame rail and the lift pump in the tank, when it stalls have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail service port? Normal pressure needs to be right at 32 to 45 PSI.

pressure is ok --- new inline pump. dual tanks, the same on both tanks

Okay when it dies and will not start and you are sure you have good fuel pressure are you getting a nice blue spark at the spark plugs and do you have injector pulse?

I Haven't check the spark or injectors

Okay then if you can, that would be the next step, check this and post back when you can and we ca work from there.

I don't have any more time today to work on it. Can we just cancel this whole thing?

You can cancel it by contacting customer service, that being said, I'm here every day so if you want to work on it at a later date I will be here to help you.

How do I contact customer service. I don't see anything at the top of the page.

Im not sure but there should be a link on your home page.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician