Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

MY 1999 ford F150 does not seem to be getting power to the

Customer Question
fuel pump. I have checked...
MY 1999 ford F150 does not seem to be getting power to the fuel pump. I have checked the button under the passenger kick panel and replaced the fuel pump. I also checked the fuse and switched the relay with another
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
11/8/2015
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 2 years ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

What engine does the 1999 F150 have?

5.4 i have checked the button under the passenger kick panel, checked fuel pump relay fuse, switched out the relay with another, changed the fuel pump
Did you get that

Have you checked for power at the inertia switch under the passenger kick panel when you turn the key to on. You should have power on the DARK GREEN/YELLOW striped wire. Then check for power on the PINK/BLACK striped wire at the same switch turning the key to on.

You will only have power there for the first 3 to 5 seconds to prime the fuel system or constant power while cranking the engine.

I have not. I didn't really know how. I will try. How long can you wait

All you need is a meter that can measure DC voltage. Then, with the switch still plugged in, take the meter lead and try to push the point into the back side of the connector and touch the metal wire pin. Place the other meter lead on a good clean ground.

As for time, just reply back when you can on this post. I will be on line till 11 tonight, I am on the East Coast. Then tomorrow I have to work at my dealership, but I'll be home after 6:30 PM. I'll get an email when you reply back and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

OK

I'm on here to help. Take your time and ask any questions necessary.

My lead on the multi meter was too big to get in there. I used a test light and both the green and pink flashed on briefly

Do they stay on when you are cranking the engine over?

well my mistake, i did not crank. I only turned the key on

There will be power for 3 to 5 seconds just turning the key on, constant while cranking.

Take your time.

Okay, it only flashed when i just turned key on. I will now go crank

Ok.

okay they both briefly light when key is on. But neither stay on when cranking

Ok. Remove the fuel pump relay and look on the bottom of it where the pins are at and see if it has numbers by the pins like 87 86 85 87A and 30.

it does

Ok. Leave the relay out and use a piece of wire or a paper clip and jump pins 30 and 87 and see if the engine runs.

Okay, i will be back

ok

it does not

Ok. Remove the jumper and check for power on pin 30 of the relay when you turn the key to on. See if you have constant power on brief power like at the inertia switch.

constant

Check the power on pin 86 and then check for a ground on pin 85 when turning the key to on.

how do i check for ground?
continuity?

Place one meter lead on the positive battery post and the other lead on the pin 85.

I do have power to 86, but it appears i have no ground to 85

Ok. The PCM (Engine Computer) supplies the ground to the fuel pump relay.

Have you been able to get any trouble codes from the PCM?

I have not tried today. I do not have a code reader here at home

Some auto parts stores loan or rent them out.

Okay, all it shows is a P0705 trans sensor

That is for the transmission range sensor. That sensor tells the PCM what gear the transmission is shifted into.

Okay, what do you think from here?

Clear the code. Then move the shifter through all the gears while you try to start the truck and see if the code returns.

Okay

keep me informed.

I erased the code and tried to start in all the gears. It has not came back yet

Does the check engine light come on when the key is turned on and go out when the engine is cranking over?

it is on when the key is on, and it goes out when cranking

Ok. We need to check continuity between pin 85 and the PCM connector pin #80. Below is a pin out for the PCM connector. Do it with the battery disconnected and the PCM disconnected.

I dont know where the pcm is. is both 80 and 85 on the pcm

Pin 85 is the ground in the fuel pump relay and pin #80 is in the PCM. The PCM is located on the passenger side of the firewall behind the right front fender well under the hood. It has a 10 mm bolt in the center of the connector.

am i checking the part tht stays on the firewall or the part i pull away
are you still there ?

Sorry, had to walk my dogs.

The wiring connector that pulls away from the PCM.

okay there is continuity

Ok. One last test. Put everything back together and use a section of wire and connect one end to a good clean ground and take the other end and attach it to pin 85 in the fuel pump relay and reinstall the relay. Then see if the engine starts. You may have to cycle the key a couple of times to get fuel back to the engine.

still did not start

Check and see if you have constant power at the inertia switch while cranking with that wire still in place.

is there any way to reconnect with you tomorrow? I dont have anyone to crank while i am checking the power

I'll be at work at my dealership tomorrow, but I'll be home after 6:30 PM tomorrow. I am on the East Coast.

do i have to repay

No, just reply back on this posting. We can talk back and forth till we fix your problem or you are satisfied.

can i log out and then back in to reconnect tomorrow?

Yes.

okay, i did as you asked. grounded a wire connected it to pin 85 and then put the relay back in. It did act as if it wanted to start but did not. So i checked and yes the test light showed constant power to the inertia switch on both the green and pink. i tried to clean and tighten several ground wires. I disconnected the jumper wire that we created, and i am still getting constant power to the inertia but still wont start

Check for fuel pressure at the test port on the fuel injector rail on the passenger side of the intake halfway back. You should get a large spray of fuel if you do not have a fuel pressure tester gauge.

do i have to have the key on or anything when testing?

Yes, turn the key on when you check the fuel pressure.

I tried to push it down with i little screw driver. It didnt seem to have any pressure

The fuel pump you replaced, was it just the electrical pump motor or was it the complete fuel pump assembly?

Just the electrical pump
but it was not starting before i replaced it either

You could have a bad pump. I do not recommend replacing just the pump motor. You should replace the complete assembly. Airtex makes a replacement pump that any auto parts store should carry.

Check and make sure you are getting power to the fuel pump first. You will have to go to the connector for the fuel pump and check or pressure there.

there are two fuel lines. how do i know which one or how to check pressure? also is there a way to make sure there is power to the pump?

One line is pressure and the other line is the return line to the fuel tank.

You can check the fuel pressure at the fuel filter or follow the line from the fuel filter back to the pump.

To check for power at the pump, check for power on the PINK/BLACK striped wire.

disconnected the fuel filter and no pressure. It does not appear there is any power either

Check continuity between the inertia switch Pink wire and the fuel pump connector pink wire.

i do have continuity from the inertia to the plug in at the pump

Are you still getting power at the inertia switch?

on both pink and green. Pretty much need to pull the pump again?

If you are getting power to the pump, and no fuel pressure, then the pump is the problem.

Okay i will pull the pump tomorrow. What days are you on this week?

I am on in the evening after 6:30 PM after I get home from work.

Okay, i will be back in touch. Thank you!

Your welcome. Keep me informed.

A. Penland
A. Penland