Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2007 Ford Focus Out of the blue - won't start. Darwin - not

Customer Question

2007 Ford Focus
Out of the blue - won't start.
Darwin - not cold
Battery OK, Fuses OK,
Won't jump start.
Hear the click, no coughing and spluttering - nothing.
Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. So, when you attempt to start the engine, does it even crank? or does it just click and that's it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't know what you mean by crank

when you turn the key, do you get any noise other than just a single click?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the bonnet is up there is a succession of little noises, the click, a little whirl, another click - it's like it knows what to do but it just doesn't do it.

alright. That is the sound of your starter solenoid clicking, then your engine turning just a little. I am pretty sure the battery does not have enough power to turn the engine over. Can you try jump starting the car to see if it will start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried that, absolutely nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I've had a car before and its had trouble starting, there has always been that bit of coughing and spluttering.
There is absolutely none of this. If the bonnet is closed there is only the one click and no other noise.

Ok. If you are certain that it's not a lack of appropriate battery power then your starter is likely bad. Are you able to check for power at the starter when attempting to start the engine?

What did you attempt to jump start it with? was it another vehicle and jumper cables?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The horn is as loud as it ever is. the lights are their normal brightness, the clock hasn't lost any time.
I drove the car home yesterday evening, no hint of any trouble.
Got in it this morning to come to work and nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was another car and jumper leads.

It takes much more power to crank an engine than to power the lights or blow the horn. If you turn the key, and you hear the motor start to turn a little, then a click then your battery has plenty of power to blow the horn and light up the lights but does not have enough power to turn the engine over. If you are sure that it's not a low battery, then it's likely the starter. To determine that for a fact, you would need to check for power at the starter using a test light.