Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2012 ford focus. I can't get the hood to open. The

Customer Question
hood release does not work...
I have a 2012 ford focus. I can't get the hood to open. The hood release does not work. Is there an alternative release on this hood?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
I had to replace the hood due to a front end collision. I knew the hood latch system didn't work properly and a friend accidentally closed the hood. Now I can't get it to release. Please HELP.
11/7/2015
Ford Mechanic: Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED replied 2 years ago
Triston
Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED

Unfortunately there is no alternative or back up way to open it however I would try, pulling the latch inside and if you can access the cable that's attached to the inside hood release handle I would pull it very very tight with some pliers and hold and have someone outside yank up on the hood until it release, if this fails after any attempt last I'd try removing the hood latch screws thru the grille if you can access them. Thanks please reply back any other questions you may have and also leave positive feedback. Thanks

Okay, there is no alternative release, how do I get it open?
by the way the cable is broken.

Is the cable broken at the inside handle or under the hood?

under the hood Sir.

Just being honest there is no step by step service procedure for this just only things you can try. There are 2 bolts holding hood latch 8mm or 10mm bolts, if you can remove them the hood will raise enough to do more work to get it open the only other thing you can try is looking at where the cables suppose to connect and try prying it to release the hood.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician