Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1998 ford ranger 4.0 idles fine. But has no power and shakes

Customer Question
when in gear. Can't go...
1998 ford ranger 4.0 idles fine. But has no power and shakes when in gear. Can't go above 35mph
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
11/7/2015
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** it act like you have a rpm limiter such as not want to go above 2000-3000 rpm? Thanks.

No the rpms will go up like normal. But when it's in gear it's definitely take alot to get the rpms up

Does transmission seem to be stuck in 1st gear? Is check engine light on?

No it goes through all the gears but it seems to slam into the gears hard and it seems to shift through them to fast. And there is no light on as of right now
I forgot to mention that I just put this motor in the truck. The previous motor was blown

Ok, I'm going to open question back up. Problem definitely seems transmission related but I cannot say specifically what. Someone else will reply when they can help, thanks.

Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

hello, let me see if I can be of some help. Even though the check engine light isnt on, have you run a diagnostic check for codes with a scan tool? Since the motor was just replaced there may be an issue with one of the electronic control systems that can set a fault but not turn the warning light on or at least yet. Did you try dropping the exhaust system to see if the exhaust has a restricted catalytic convertor since the last engine failed? You didnt mention what type of blown engine failure, overheated,threw a rod bearing,etc.

I just replaced the exhaust system. And the only code that was on was for an o2 sensor but I replaced that. And the previous motor had no compression on cylinder 3 and only 20 psi on cylinder 5

Ok so you have new catalytic convertors and a lack ofpower on acceleration, is the fuel pressure low when the concern occurs. No other codes now?

There is no catalytic converters on the truck. The fuel pressure is at 65 psi

Ok so exhaust should be free flowingno problem,it runs at idle fine but looses power under a load while driving . Is this a SOHC engine and did you put in a used engine? and No oter codes are stored now, it passes a key onengine off and key on engine running test?

runs very smooth at idle. I do notice a slight hesitation when I press the gas while it's not in gear but it revs smooth while in park a neutral. And it's a 4.0 ohv engine. Yes it passes the KOER AND KOEO test

Ok good. Long as fuel pressure is solid it could be due to an engine misfire, clogged fuel injector, something of that nature. Long as there are no transmission issues. An injector flow test should be done and take a look at mode 6 data if you can with a scan tool, this will tell you if you have a small misfire that isnt strong enough to trip a check engine light diagnostic code.

Okay I will see if I can look at the injectors tomorrow with my scan tool

Very good. only other thing would be an issue with the crank psoition sensor if its loosing signal, or dirty mass air flow sensor. but that should either trip a code or show an out of range sensor when the concern occurs.

Mass air flow sensor is brand new. Could it be an issue with the torque converter locking up?

Its possible but it would tend to stall the engine and should set a code if its slipping or locked up when it shouldnt be.

I'll try to take it for a longer drive tomorrow and see if I can get a code out of it

Very good. let me know what you find.

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans