Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1988 ford bronco fuel gauge. Read full while. When less then

Customer Question
1988 ford bronco fuel gauge...
1988 ford bronco fuel gauge. Read full for a while. When less then 3/4 full the gauge swings from empty to full. Full to empty
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/6/2015
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, does the gauge bounce up and down from full to empty or vice versa? Or i is mostly full and it drops down to empty?

When tank is full , gauge stays at full until the gas in the tank is about 3/4 full.
That is when the gauge swings inconsistently.
Gauge might be at 3/4 or 1/2 or 1/4 when engine first started.
No consistency at all.My daughter just informed me that the gauge does not do anything anymore.

Ok most common thing we see on these older style fuel senders is the orignal sender is a metal barrel that hangs on the sender arm in the fuel tank. Over time the hanger wears into the hollow metal float barrel and fuel leaks into the sender float and will make it sink. You can unplug the fuel pump connector and ground the sender wire and it should read full. and disconnected empty.

if it does not read full when grounded and read empty when disconnected?

If it doesnt read full when you ground the sender wire you have an open circuit between the fuel sender connector and the instrument cluster or gauge issue. If it reads full the sender should be working properly, if it pulsed up and down it would be an issue with the instrument cluster voltage regulator.

What wire is the sending unit wire in the fuel pump harness?
Daughter just told me gauge is always on full.
Never moves from full.

Ok the wire from the fuel pump should be yellow for the gauge. If its always reading full the wire or sender is shorted. disconnect the fuel pump 4 pin connector it should drop to empty. if it does the sender cricuit has a short to ground possibly the sender.

With the pump removed you can move the float up and down and it should sweep. the gauge

What is the best fuel pump / sender to replace with the faulty one with? I have heard that after market fuel pumps and senders only last a few years or less.

Napa offers a good line of fuel pumps at a decent price. Just need to make sure they come complete with a new sender, some do not

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans