Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

No power to fuel pump driver model on 2011 f350 6.2 engine

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
11/5/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

When you checked the power to the Driver module did you make sure the fuse F68 and F 66 in the under hood panel where not blown and had poser to them. These two fuse power the Fuel pump relay and send power to the driver module on the violet/green wire which is pin #1 at the driver module. Is this the wire your not getting power on?

power to both fuse 66 and 68

Okay do you have power at the fuel pump relay on pins #2 and #3 with the key on?

No power on vilet and green wire

Yes that is the power supply wire out of the fuel pump relay do you have power at the relay on the pins I mentioned.

power on both pins

Okay, the way the relay work is the BCM ( Body computer ) grounds the relay on the pin #2 and sends power out of it to the fuel pump through the driver module on the violet /green wire, do you get power to the driver if you ground the pin #2. Take another look at the wiring diagram in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Driver%20Diag%20Nov%205.pdf

What relay do u want me to ground pin 2

The fuel pump relay which controls the fuel pump just as shown in the wiring diagram I sent you.

Wont it blow fuse 72 if i ground pin 2
Truck will start if i put power to yellow and gray wire at fuel drive module

Pin #2 is the relay ground supplied by the BCM, if the BCM is not grounding the relay you will not have power out of it to the driver. Have you scanned the system to see if there are any fault codes setting?

Pin 2 has power on it we key is on and u want me to groun a hot wire

If you look at the wiring diagram I sent you for the relay you will see the power wire at the relay are pins #1 and #, pin #5 (violet/green) is power out , pin #2 is the ground signal to the relay from the BCM and should not be hot. Once again, have you scanned the Computer and the BCM to see if there are any fault codes setting.

How to test fuel pump relay

That what we have been doing, if you have power on the pins #1 and #, pin #5 and a good ground on pint #2 then the relay should supply power out on pin #5.

Once again, have you scanned the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting?

I have power on 2 and 3 ground at 1 and 5

As shown in the diagram pins #1 and pin #3 are power . Are you sure you checking the right relay, it should match the pin in the wiring diagram . Something is getting lost in translation here.

Are you going to answer my other question, have you scanned the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting?

No codes can u let me no were fuel pump relay is to double check im checking the right relay

Its in the under hood fuse panel, I have marked it for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/FP%20location%20Nov%204.pdf

Im been checking wrong relay i have power on pins 2&5

With the key on and the relay removed, you should have power on pins #1 and # ***** which get there power from the two fuses shown in the wiring diagram. There should only be power on #5 with the relay installed and the engine craning and or running.

Nothing on 1&3 power on 2&5 key on relay removed

Thats not possible, are you sure you checking the right pins, there marked on the relay as well as the diagram I sent you.

Im checking the pins that say [email protected] there the two that would be towards the front on fuse box

Look at the wiring diagram which shows you the two power wires and then look at the relay diagram I sent you which will show you which pins they are in the socket.

Pins 2&5 bye diagram there is power on them two key on relay removed

Thats not possible , the power wires to the connector are #1 and #3 just as shown in the diagrams. Pin to is the ground from the BCM and Pin #5 is power out to the driver module just as shown in both diagrams I have sent you.

I see what the diagram shows but pin 2&5 has power pins 1&3 nothing

Are you sure you not looking at them in the opposite position? With the relay removed there is no way the other pins can have power.

Check pin 2&5 both have power if u flip relay around it would be 1&3 both nothing on 1&3 according to diagram

Well Im not sure why because every 2011 is the same as the diagram and Im not sure why your would not match the factory diagrams. At this point I can open the question back up for you in hopes some else may have ran across a backwards set up that does not match the factory wiring.

I no the yellow wire going to fuel driver module if i put power to it truck will start

Which yellow wire are you referring to? Looking at the factory wiring diagram there are no solid yellow wires.

Yellow wire with gray stripe at fuel driver module

If you look at the wiring diagram you will see the yellow/gray wire out of the drive module is the power feed to the fuel pump from the driver module and if it runs with adding power to it then that means the pump is okay and you are not getting a signal out of the driver module.

How does piwer det to the yellow wire

The fuel pump is controlled by the FP relay powering the Driver module and the PCM (computer) controlling the pressure with a duty cycle from it. Are you sure the driver module is not just bad?

I put a new one on it cause that what i thought

Well I'm out of ideas from here, your pumps runs with added power so its okay and the driver is new so you are back to either a bad PCM or the signal from it to the relay .

I swaped relays so how can i test pcm

The only way to test it is to either send it out to a builder for testing or swap it with a a known good unit. That being said, anytime you replace it, programming is required.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician