Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My 2005 ford 6.0 surges or jerks while driving at ghway

Customer Question

my 2005 ford 6.0 surges or jerks while driving at highway seeds and sometimes while accelerating. wondering what may be causing this to happen
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I am Chris (aka-Moose)

The first 2 things which comes to mind are a soot filled stuck EGR valve or there are coking deposits built up on the turbo vanes and it can not adjust correct to control the boost pressure. Any warning lights on, codes stored? Any smoke concerns when this happens?

----------Once you get an answer----------

1) Please realize I base my info requests and answers on what you type.

2) The more you can tell me the faster and better I can help.

3) I am not an employee for Just Answer, they pay me nothing to help you.

4) I am paid by the customer from your deposit, but only when you rate my answer.

5) You will notice it says rate to finish, rating does not close the post, or end our conversation.

6) I am going to stay in contact with you until you respond and tell me your happy or pleased with the answer. So please reply and let me know the progress on the issue and our discussion or if more help is needed.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done the EGR delete kit 2 yrs ago, 11 months ago replaced the turbo with a Garrett Powermax, 2 yrs ago put in a 4" turbo back diamond eye straight exhaust, 2yrs ago installed a S & B cold air intake, and have also 2 yrs ago put an external oil filter and cooler system (Bullet Proof Diesel), and also 1 yr ago replaced the torque converter to a stage 3 torque converter, it also runs 35/12.5R20 tires but has for 5 yrs. I also last month had a ford dealer flash the computer system for any problems or updates.
I drive approx. 150,000 - 175,000 miles a year on this 2005 ford f250 SD 6.0 powerstroke 4x4. With my job working with major oversize loads and can't afford to have breakdowns while moving these loads. For 2 reasons; 1 load size and being able for it to park at and shoulders aren't large enough and load can't move without me for I steer the trailer with the load and 2nd is breakdowns will cost me my job by bringing in a replacement person to fill my position leaving me out of work.
I do regular oil changes, air filter changes approx every 2 weeks, regular tranny servicing, regular fuel filter changes, etc.
Maintenence has been kept up regularly and I have had no major issues until this jerking and surging starting up about 3 months ago.

Thanks for the much better details. Can you monitor the ICP pressure, fuel pressure, and boost pressure when this is occurring and tell me which is varying?

As mentioned in my first response, I would stay in contact with you. I've noticed you have not rated the post. So I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.