Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1975 ford e250 351w c6 trans. I rebuilt the auto trans and

Customer Question
it ran great until I...
1975 ford e250 351w c6 trans. I rebuilt the auto trans and it ran great until I took it on a 15 mile trip. (Engine was replaced at the same time. It had a blown motor so I never drove it before purchase.) after the long drive and sitting overnight it was stuck in first while in drive the next morning can manually shift fine. I adjusted the linkage and it started to drive fine again. Drove about 30 short trips everything was okay. Took on another long trip drove fine. Let sit overnight stuck in 1st same symptoms. Messed with vacuume modulater and linkage. Starts shifting fine again. Drove 2 months short trips. Shifts fine. I let my sister borrow it for a long trip. Made it there with no problems. When she left to come home 3 days later stuck in first again. I have tried adjusting the linkage. Replacing the modulator with a different colored stripe. Vacuume at manifold at idle 15hg/in. Hose from manifold holds vacuume. Fluid level good and clean. Any ideas short of dropping the pan?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/5/2015
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 2 years ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, what was wrong with the transmission that you went into it in the first place, did it have a problem or you just rebuilt it since you did the engine?

Just rebuilt cause of engine. I drove it around the block before buying but the engine lost its thrust berring so the crank slid back and forth about 1/4". When I pulled the tranny down the front sizable thrust washer was smashed and in the pan.

Ok, sounds like something is hanging up. Few things that control upshifting as you already know are the vacuum modulator, tv cable. the govenor on the output shaft and the valve body. Since the vacuum modulator is new, its safe to say that is probably ok unless you installed the valve behind the vacuum modulator in backwards but that would have an issue all the time. So long as the throttle linkage to the trans isnt binding up from being overtightened, i would suspect an issue in the valve body or possibly an issue with govenor which helps regulate the pressures in the transmission.

linkage it torqued. Kickdown has great spring and is adjusted. Tv cable? I was leaning toward stuck governer. I was think if of running an air test once I dropped the valve body.Any idea why it would only happen after extended trips and sitting overnight? I guess that's my real question. Never happens while on the trip but only after cooling down over night.

I meant kickdown( linkage at trans) . Only thing I can think of with it after sitting overnight is something is binding. Once it gets hot it gets stuck in a certain position and jams up when it cools down like a valve. Airchecking is a good way to go, but definitely drop the pan first to see if there is any debris in the pan, its possible something is flowing through the cooler system of the trans and blocking a passage.

Valve body,valving inside the valve body, govenor main things since it has the gears otherwise. Worn plastic check ball, (if this still uses plastic ones, been awhile since ive been inside a C6) Plastic check balls can wear down over time from moving back and forth and get stuck

I'll pull down the valve body and go through it. It's kinda the step I was already heading towards. Are there any transmission experts on here?

I am, been building ford transmissions for almost 20 years now and ford was still using the C6 in some newer vans

Okay. I'll drop the pan and pull apart the valve body tomorrow. There's a trans parts distributor 45 min from my house. I'll inspect and replace anything worn. Are there parts I should change in the VB just because?

Inspect all the valves for free movement and any signs of crud build up in the passages. check size of check balls and while valve body is down air check and check flow to govenor and if needed the govenor body

Governer body? In the tail shaft?

Yesthe plate on the back of the trans case inside the extension housing is the govenor body that has supply tubes to the clutches through the case and flow back to the govenor on the tailshaft. Something is anging up and either causing a loss of fluid pressure or shifting control.

I was in a motorcycle accident on Friday and broke my collar bone. I have yet to pull the pan I should have surgery tue. Or wed. Then it's a three month recovery. I'd like to keep this open until I get a chance to pull the VB.

Ouch! glad you are ok otherwise, I ride so I know the dangers of the open road! Just get back to me when you get a chance to floow up, the question will remain open until you hit accept and rate the question and we can still talk back and forth until you are satisfied with the repair

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pulled the valve body. It is missing the reverse clutch check ball.
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 year ago

Missing? it had to be there to have reverse or the ball fell apart if it was a plastic one

If it was plastic, need to see if it is jammed up in one of the valve body passages

Ok keep me posted on what you find

Yup governor body split apart, that will do it!

If you need more help or information, let me know, If I was helpful please hit accept and leave a positive rating so I get credit for assisting you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me get it back together and make sure it's good then I'll rate the help. There were 2 things I didn't touch during the rebuild. The VB and the governer. Guess I learned my lesson.

No problem and yes, always go thru everything n a build.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Hi, the question was closed. Did you resolve the issue?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans