Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Ron, I have a 2011 F-150 5.0L and the fans come on upon

Customer Question

Ron, I have a 2011 F-150 5.0L and the fans come on upon start up along with a engine overheat code and check engine. I think it is the temp sending unit but cant seem to find the darn thing
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

When the check engine light come on have you scanned it to see what fault code is setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P1089 If I remember right
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I'm not finding the code P1089 to be a valid code but I would agree with you, this does sound like a problem with the temp sending unit and the 5.0 uses a CHT (cylinder head temp sensor) in its place. The CHT is located on the back side of the RH cylinder head and unfortunately to access it you will need to remove the intake. Before you go that far, can you recheck the fault code and let me know and I will advise from there.