Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a late 2004 f250 6l that is in a no start mode. I

Customer Question
have , in the past...
I have a late 2004 f250 6l that is in a no start mode. I have , in the past deleted egr cooler and valve, replaced headgaskets, with new special bolts. I have just recently had new injector tube and seals because of a no start problem. This helped some but it was still slow to start. It took a lot of cranking when it was hot. It would start ok when cold.Then my oil cooler apparently wen t out, for I was getting scads of oil in my cooling system. I have done a DIY on the oil cooler and when I got it together, it will not start. I have tested the FICM at 48V. It shows codes po 261, 270, 276, 279, If you could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. I am sick of this truck. I have spent right at 10k on it, not counting the work that I have done. I have just purchased a new Chevvy to replace this pile of junk called a 6L.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/4/2015
Ford Mechanic: Ray M., Ford Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech

After replacing the oil cooler, the high pressure oil pump reservoir will be empty, it will take a considerable amount of cranking to refill it and pressure up the system, how long have you tried to start it?

probably 20 times. The oil pressure will come up cranking it over.
sounds like it tries to fire on one cylinder occasionally.
There is considerable amount of air in the fuel. I remove the filter cap and turn the key on and it will burp a lot of bubbles. I may have other issues with the fuel supply but I have bled the air out several time and tried to start it, I have cycled it several times before trying. If it was the fuel, it seems like it would start and run a little.

You may have a fault fuel pump, I have seen numerous times where the pump will only pump air and not lift fuel from the tank. do you have access to a scan tool that can read sensor values, to check the ICP pressure?

I have a scan gauge II and a Superchips programmer that I only use it for it's scanning abilities. All that I can get out of the scan gauge is no codes found

How long have you cranked it over each time?

30 seconds or more, the last 10 seconds it tries to fire. codes p1280-p1284 have never shown on my superchips. according to my code chart, these are the codes for the icp

when I Have changed out an oil cooler or a high pressure pump on a 6.0l it usually takes 5 to 10 minutes of solid cranking to get the oil pressure up and fill the reservoir for the high pressure pump, when it starts does it fire and then die right away?

It doesn't ever start, just fires like on one cylinder.

This sounds like a fuel problem, I would suggest checking the fuel pump pressure at the fuel filter housing, if it is continually pushing air the pump is defective and needs to be replaced.

Is there a test that I can do on the fuel pump? I'm thinking about disconnecting the pressure line , adding a piece of hose and running the pump to see if the air is coming from the pump. Maybe a restriction in the suction line from the tank.
what pressure should it have?

Yes that would be good idea, but this requires a special hose and adapters that you hook up and watch for air bubbles. This could also be caused by one ore more injectors being bad and sticking, this allows combustion pressure to be pushed into the fuel system and aerate the fuel.

I had new injectors about 10K miles back but they may be bad but before the oil cooler went bad, it ran as smooth as it did when it was new. Hey, I have to leave now for Church but if you could leave me some contact info that I could resume later. If you help me get this thing going, I will make it worth your time.

I will keep this chat open and will be here when you return, I will think about other things fro you to check while I wait.

Hey, I'm back. Thanks for waiting.

No problem, when you are trying to start it is there any smoke from the exhaust?

None at all

It definitely sounds like a fuel delivery problem, and from you describing there is a lot of air in the system, I am pretty sure that is your problem.

ok I will focus on the pump. I thank you for your help. If I need anything else, I will try to contact you again.

I am online most days from 8:00 AM to 10;00 and then again from 3:00 to 9:00PM

Do you need more help?

Sorry Ray< I have been out of town since Sunday and I haven.t had a chance to work on it since I last talked with you. I appreciate your help and as soon as I get to work on it again, I will let you know if it is a start or no start.
I have been out of town for a few days and havent had a chance to check it out. As soon as I get back on it, I will let you know if it starts or not. I appreciate your help in helping me narrow the problem down.

Okay, I just thought I would check in with you, if there is no activity the question will get timed out.

That's fine, I am pleased with what you have done. If I need some more help, I will check back later.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician