6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
63005990

I have an F350 with a 6.0 turbo powerstroke yesterday I was

Customer Question

I have an F350 with a 6.0 turbo powerstroke yesterday I was driving down the highway doing 75 pulling a trailor when oil starting spewing out of the top of the engine. I pulled over and the truck died and wouldn't start. I popped the hood and there was oil on the bottem side of the hood from the center all the way over to the right fender. there was no oil on the left side of the engine compartment.I checked the oil and there was not enough to show on the dip stilk. judging by the oil on the truck and the ground it pumped out several quarts in a matter of seconds.I had the thing towed home and spent an hour crawling around under and in the engine compartment and didn't see any oil on the back side of the hvop or firewall the oil came from the center and sprayed toward the right side of the engine compartment, but there was so much oil on everything I couldn't tell where it came fro. I pulled the turbo off to get a better look but still cant tell where it came from. What is your best guess the oil must have been under high pressure to spray like it did.
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is James.

The turbo oil drain tube is not under high pressure. If the leak is more on the right bank, the ICP sensor, and the oil filter housing would be suspect to produce a leak under high pressure. Are you able to fill the crankcase to the proper oil level and run the engine? With the magnitude of the leak you describe there's a good chance you should be able to see something spewing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the oil supply line to the turbo under high pressure
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.

The oil line to the top of the turbo at the paper gasket is under pressure, but really unlikely to cause the issue you describe

Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.

Can you start the engine and observe it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to put the turbo and lines back on.there is some oil build up around the oil filter housing I bet that is where it is comming from.thanks for your help
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.

No problem. You can post updates here at any time. If you still have trouble later after looking at the filter housing, perhaps you could upload a picture of it.

Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just checking in to see if you were able to repair the oil leak on your truck.

Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 year ago.

Hello. If you don't need any more assistance, kindly rate this answer so I can close our question. If you do need more assistance, please reply to this post and we can continue.

James.