Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

F250 sd 2000 7.3 l PCM My key turn to start does not

Customer Question

Hi Scott
F250 sd 2000 7.3 l PCM
My key turn to start does not illuminate the wait to start light and the ODB does not power the code reader so can't read engine code.
Recently replaced ICP and installed Air Intake Heater solenoid.
Fuse #30 inside was blown.
Do you have an idea what it could be.
The truck is at dealer in Glenview and the tech plans to order
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a PCM but Ford no longer has the part and may have to get after market. He said they can send mine to be reset somewhere and it would take about 2 weeks. The truck is 6 speed manual trans.
My thought is to check wiring first.
Any ideas?
Randy
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Wiring is always the first check I would do to make sure there is no rubbing, chafing, bad power to the PCM, etc. IF the PCM isn;t getting good power or ground, the PCM will not power up and you will have all the symptoms you have. The dealer should have a test out box to be able to test the PCM power and grounds. Have them check that first.

Then if the power is good, they can test on the PCM to see that it is getting the ignition in feed. If it is getting the ignition in and not sending signal out to the glow plug module or buzzing the injectors, then you will know the PCM is bad. If the dealer didn't do these steps, they are skipping and it can cost you more money and time in the long run. Reason, what if you wait the 2 weeks to get the PCM back, then the vehicle still has the same problem? You just paid for the PCM and you were without your vehicle for 2 weeks, AND now you have more getting tacked onto the bill because there was a wire harness issue.

I would ask them to make sure the wires for the power, grounds, ignition feed in, and glow plug out all ohm test good and that there are no issues there before ordering the PCM.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear, or taste the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

The system DOES NOT automatically give me credit from your deposit. A rating is REQUIRED. You are rating me for the information I provide,
not the website. I have no control over the site fees, site errors, category errors, or how long it took for a response for these reasons.

I am not an employee of this website, so please rate with a POSITIVE (green) rating for me to get credit for assisting you. You still pay
the website for negatives or by not rating at all. I just get nothing from that payment you made. So please rate each answer I provide.

I want you pleased with my service to you so please inform me before rating negative (red) and I will do my best to make it right. Follow
ups for same question are always free after ratings have been made.

I do have many workshop manuals, diagrams, etc that I pay to get access to out of my pocket. If one is needed, please ask and I will give
you an offer at my technician discounted cost to you for such manuals. I never charge above that cost.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jeremy, thanks for the prompt response
What about fuse #30 that was blown?
And the wait to start light does not illuminate nor do the injectors buzz.
Thanks
Rany
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Fuse 30 controls the fuel heating element in the filter bowl. I would suspect that it is shorted out and needs to be changed.

Have the shop check that first for it will prevent the vehicle from starting and the glow plugs from activating. If it doesn't send the signal back to the PCM, it will not allow the buzz test or the glow plug activate. That is for safety because of that heating element.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Is it okay to just unplug it?
Why would the ODB not activate the code reader?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

It may be showing on the IDS, but not on a regular code reader because it isn't part of an emission system. Basic code readers will pull emission codes where as the IDS pulls all electronic modules.

On unplugging it, you should be able to in order to get the fuse to stop popping and get a start out of the truck. You'll want to have it replaced down the road if you are in icy weather because it is what warms your fuel to keep it from gelling as it enters the engine.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

For test purposes though, have the shop unplug it and then put a fuse or ideally, a breaker in and see if you get a start. Good thing of a breaker is you are not replacing fuses. You just push a button to replace the breaker.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jeremy
Thanks a lot!
I'll try your idea and see how it works and let you know how it goes.
I'm pretty sure that's what it is, the fuel bowl wires were loose last time the filter was changed.
Just wasn't aware of the sequence when starting.
Hopefully that part is still available.
Randy
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

That part is still available. I just replaced one not even a month ago. It is a used on several vehicles, not just Ford and that is why it is still made.

Please do let me know what was found.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope to find out today. Fingers crossed
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

Let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bingo. Unplugged the terminal at the bottom of filter and replaced fuse. Started right up.
Any insight into replacing the module?
Part #, difficulty level, cost, where to order?
We have a moderate skill level but some jobs are better left to the pros.
Thanks Jeremy
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

That module is fairly simple to do.

If you're not in cold weather, I would leave it unplugged. If you are in cold weather, as in below 34 degrees, then you will want it plugged in to prevent fuel gel up.

I am attaching the instructions to do the heater replacement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again,
Do you have a part # ***** the fuel element and is it a Motorcraft part?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.

You can get a Motorcraft one, but Alliant makes them and they are cheaper with them.

Part # *****

CLICK HERE for a video on how to do it.