HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Trying to fix an 86 ford bronco full size with a 351 atou in

Customer Question

trying to fix an 86 ford bronco full size with a 351 atou in it it runes for a short time and shuts down all by its self the truck has bin sitting for about 5 years the fuel pumps sound like they charge up but it acts like it runs out of fuel after a short while .
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** long does it take until it restarts? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when it first starts it runs for about 5 to 8 min then its suts down after that it satst up but only runs for a few seconds and shuts down. if you wait for 30 min it does the same thing again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a 79 that did the same thing but it wasn't injected so by changing the ignition moduel on the fender wall it was good this one is injected so Im not sure if its electric or a fuel problem?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like your fuel pump is the problem. A quick test is to see I it runs on starting fluid during problem, if so you know problem is fuel related which would most likely be pump.. To know for sure you would need to monitor pressure when good and compare during problem. If pressure is lower during problem, verify power/ground is good, and if so then replace. You could also try to replace the fuel pump relay. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok well get a hand to try the sarting fluid thing. where is the fuel relay ?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Nevermind, this vehicle uses mechanical fuel pump so there is no injection. It sounds like your mechanical fuel pump is most likely the problem which you can verify with a fuel pump. I'm going to open question back up to see if someone else may be more familiar with this fuel system as I am better with modern systems. Someone will reply when they can help, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no this truck has efi the fuel rail is on the left side of the plentium but I'm not sure if the rgulator is on the rail or along the line some were.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ther is also a electric fuel pump below the master cylender on the inside of the fram.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 1 year ago.

Hello, let me see if I can be of help. Yes see if there is both still fuel pressure and spark when the truck stalls and wont restart. it can be a fuel issue or it could be an ignition issue. Im leaning more towards ignition or electrical. verify the check engine light comes on when the key is turned to on and goes out when cranking when it starts and wont start.