Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 1993 Ford F150 with the 5.8L engine (351ci) and the

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Ford F150 with the 5.8L engine (351ci) and the 4 speed with OD. When in overdrive and maintaining a constant hiway speed--not accelerating or slowing down--on a level road you will feel a stuttering sensation almost like the engine is missing but I don't think it is. If you add throttle or take you foot off the accelerator the stuttering stops. If accelerating or have the engine under a load (like at 70mph) then nothing happens. Got any ideas? Could it be something in the transmission??
***@******.***
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by a bad TCC solenoid in the trnsmission, Torque converter control solenoid, one way to verify this, is to get to cruising speeds and hold it there, and then when you feel it, lightly press down on the brake pedal, not hard enough to slow it down, just enough to nturn on the brake lights, and see if it stops, can you try this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try this after work.............How will I contact you tomorrow? What have I signed up for .................I don't want to be charged monthly for anything...................I just want help with this one problem...............thanks
Jake
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Just reply back to this question and I will help you, if it goes away when slightly pressing the brake, then its going to be a bad TC solenoid,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not replaced the TCC solenoid yet so I do not know if that is the problem.............will try to get it done this week so I'll kn ow for sure..........Jake xxxx
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You never got my reply??
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

No, what was it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim,
Have ordered the TCC solenoid and will replace it to see if that was the problem.....stay tuned.........thanks
Jake
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Let me know,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim
Have ordered a TCC solenoid..............it should arrive Mon or Tues and will have it installed and will let you know what happens. This is an aggravating problem and I hope your solution is the right one.........I'm counting on your knowledge!!!
Have a good weekend...........Jake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim, according to the Ford people my transmission doesn't have a TCC solenoid so I couldn't order one. Flushed/serviced trans and problem still exists..........oh, well