A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

My 03 ford sd f250 has a hop wobble from the rear I've

Customer Question

My 03 ford sd f250 has a hop wobble from the rear I've replaced ujoints rotors and balanced the drive shaft have the traction lock rear end thinking clutch pack is gone any suggestions
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. It is possible that the clutches are shot. The best way to check is to drive in a figure 8. A tight figure 8 at slow speeds like in a parking lot. If you really feel the chatter then, then the clutches are the problem. You can try this and then let me know.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Sometimes adding friction modifier helps. It is supposed to be added to the rear end.If perhaps a service was done without it being added, then that may help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the fluid change with the friction additive. Before this when you had it in the air you could barely move the wheels in park and they moved in the same direction like posi now still very very hard to move they moved opposite. The vibration is worse between 40-45 and stays all the way up it's like driving on whoop a doos at 40 45 been chasing this since I bought it back in February only has 55000 miles on it super clean. I will try the figure 8 will it chatter like if it was in four wheel?
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Yeah it would be similiar. You won't feel the binding like when in four wheel drive, but you will feel chattering from the rear.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Also, what I have seen before is in the rear parking brake assembly, there is a "scissor" type actuator that moves in and out the e-brake shoes. I have seen this actuator stick and cause the brake shoes to be touching the inside of the rotor and causing this type of vibration. You can try visually looking and using a hammer if needed to try and hit back the actuator lever in the back of the backing plate. If you are still unsure if they are sticking you can remove the rotor and check them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope not that I turned the adjusters all the way in basically ebrake is disengaged.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really haven't told me anything I already tried I was hoping as a Ford mechanic I would get a better response. I've googled it seems to be a problem but of course people complain but no one post a fix.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Alright sorry for that. I will open the question back up to the other Experts. Thank you.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The clutch packs in the rear axle for the Traction-Loc will only make a shudder on turns. It will not cause a vibration 40-45 MPH. Since you have had the tires balanced, you may want to look at having the tires load forced balanced. Also, jack up the rear axle and place it on jack stands. Then, check for run out in the driveshaft at three points. Also, see if you could have a bent axle shaft or a bent wheel. Even though you have the tires balanced, a bent wheel/rim will cause a vibration at 40-45.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drive shaft was balanced have two sets of brand new after market wheels New tires and one set of brand new ford factory wheels.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

And the vibration is definitely from the rear or do you feel it in the steering wheel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's like a hop more than a wobble it's like riding on oval wheels strictly in the seat. Between 40 45 is the worst intolerable pretty much
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

And this is at 40-45 on the highway or basically straight ahead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vibration is all the way up as fast as you got but smoother but steady in neutral on the highway stays the same od on or off no different
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me the VIN#? I want to check Fords database for your concern.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've loaded the suspension no difference I have been in autobody for 25 years never seen it thought when I bought it was a bad TIRE. Man was I wrong..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yup gimme a sec
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1FTNX21L13ED47950 truck has 51000 on it super clean...
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Nothing in the database for a 2003 F250, 5.4L, 4x4. Below is the info I got back.

Since the driveshaft and wheels and tires have been ruled out, you may want to look into the rear differential itself. Not the clutch packs, but the ring and pinion and also the pinion flange where the driveshaft bolts to the rear axle.

I doubt it is in the front end or transfer case.