Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1982 ford 800 with a 429 gas motor. It will not

Customer Question

I have a 1982 ford 800 with a 429 gas motor. It will not start, I cannot get 12v at the coil with key on. I know I must have 12v at the coil before I can get a spark. I have changed the coil, ECM, & the ignition switch. Help
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

there should be 12 volts at the positive side of the coil with the key on. the power comes from the ignition switch. since you replaced the switch, you most likely have a broken wire between the switch and coil.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was my line of thinking, so I ran a hot jumper to the .+ on coil and I still cannot get a spark. Any ideas
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, do you have points or electronic ignition???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Electronic
Expert:  roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, with 12 volts on the positive, you should have 12 volts on the negative side of the coil too. if you do, then crank the motor and use a test light on the negative side and it should flash while cranking. if it does not, then you need a module and pick up coil. if it does then the coil is bad.

Roy