Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1982 ford 800 with a 429 gas motor. It will not

Customer Question
start, I cannot get 12v...
I have a 1982 ford 800 with a 429 gas motor. It will not start, I cannot get 12v at the coil with key on. I know I must have 12v at the coil before I can get a spark. I have changed the coil, ECM, & the ignition switch. Help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
10/26/2015
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 2 years ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

there should be 12 volts at the positive side of the coil with the key on. the power comes from the ignition switch. since you replaced the switch, you most likely have a broken wire between the switch and coil.

Roy

That was my line of thinking, so I ran a hot jumper to the .+ on coil and I still cannot get a spark. Any ideas

ok, do you have points or electronic ignition???

Electronic

ok, with 12 volts on the positive, you should have 12 volts on the negative side of the coil too. if you do, then crank the motor and use a test light on the negative side and it should flash while cranking. if it does not, then you need a module and pick up coil. if it does then the coil is bad.

Roy

Ron, ASE Certified Technician