Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2007 ford expedition, after vehicle is warm while

Customer Question
driving it has this hesitation...
I have a 2007 ford expedition, after vehicle is warm while driving it has this hesitation, feels like I'm going over rumble strips on side of the road. The hesitation comes and goes as we drive.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Ford
10/26/2015
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

I have seen the 5.4l engine on the 2007 expedition misfire with no accompanying trouble codes (check engine light). Sometimes it will hesitate and shudder for miles with no code set.

When was the last tune up on the vehicle (spark plugs and boots)?

Your symptoms could also be a restricted fuel filter; when was it last replaced?

did plugs within last year, never fuel filter, also replaced all plug coils
my mechanic seems to feel its a drive/ tran issue although cannot pinpoint it
definitely no engine light or code set
had to replace tension bar and belt , then problem seemed to start?

A hesitation from the drivetrain? Does it feel like the transmission is slipping?

Does is change based on pushing the gas more or less?

doesn't seem to, just happens randomly but always when engine has warmed up and at lower speeds 35-50

Did the mechanic use Motorcraft plugs? We have a fleet of about 1200 fords, 200 of them are the 5.4l engine. If you use anything other than Motorcraft plugs it will misfire, just as you describe.

Rarely do we get them in with slipping transmissions; they usually just go out completely when they go.

Is it most noticeable when you are just barely on the gas, almost coasting?

not sure I will have to ck.? But wouldn't they misfire immediately ? or would they break down over time
no, more noticeable when pushing on gas.... never when coasting
I am no mechanic but have worked on vehicles for 30 years, I feel it is a engine issue more than a drivetrain issue. but with that said that while I am talking to a professional

Then I would definitely say it's the plugs.

No, they don't misfire right away. They usually start acting up about 5,000-10,000 miles after replacement.

You also have to fill the coil boots with dielectric grease- this sounds unusually, but it is essential to keep them from misfiring down the road.

ok that's seems about the timetable on mileage since we replaced plugs .
just to clarify it feels like a vibration/hesitation when it happens very noticeable to
what if the are motorcraft plugs we used ?
also what if we used after market coils, will that have same effect not using motorcraft like the plugs

If they are motorcraft plugs then you may just have to drive it until they set a code. You will also want to inspect the boots for signs of spark jump, which would be caused by no dielectric grease when they were changed.

Aftermarket coils aren't as big of a deal. Most of the brands you can get will perform as well as the factory brand.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Please don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician