Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 2006 Mustang. Had a bad alternator, so I replaced

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Mustang. Had a bad alternator, so I replaced it and the car is running fine, but I did get a check engine light back on the dash. When I hook up my odb2 scanner, it immediately powers up and I can go in to the menu etc, but when I try to read the codes it times out and cannot connect. I have the key in the proper position (have used this scanner on my other cars many many times with no problems). Is there something I can check on this Mustang (maybe a fuse??) that would prevent it from connecting properly to read the codes? Like I said, the reader gets power, but will not read. Thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I know the proper procedure is usually to hook the scan tool up then turn the key to run, but on my 2005 Ford f350 it doesn't scan for codes that way unless I turn the key to run first, then hook up the scan tool. Try that. Mine is an Actron code reader.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll give that a shot... maybe going out of order will do the trick!!

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did it work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've got to give it a shot this afternoon when I get home from work. I'll let you know!! Thanks!!!!!!!

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

ok